New estimates value Essar gas reserves at $4 billionMarch 5th, 2010 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 5 (IANS) The Ruias-led energy major Essar Oil Friday said its coal-bed methane blocks actually contain about seven trillion cubic feet (tcf) of recoverable gas, over twice than earlier estimates, which industry values at over $4 billion.
“Essar’s exploration and production business is set to become a major wealth creator for Essar Oil. Based on the draft reports, we have recoverable resources of seven trillion cubic feet,” the company said in a regulatory filing.
The company had engaged international consultants to assess reserves in the oil and gas fields it holds, which were previously estimated to hold recoverable gas resources of about three trillion cubic feet.
According to the new estimates, Essar Oil’s Raniganj finds in West Bengal has about one trillion cubic feet of coal-based methane gas, while its Rajmahal block in Jharkhand has about 4.7 trillion cubic feet.
Additionally, the company’s offshore block in Nigeria holds an estimated 200 million barrels of oil equivalent resource, while its Ratna and R-Series fields in Mumbai High hold 160 million barrels of oil equivalent.
However, the deal for the Mumbai High finds has not been signed yet, the company said.
Essar also said it will start commercial production of gas from its Raniganj block in West Bengal by the second quarter. Peak production of 3.5 million cubic meters a day would be reached in mid-2013 and will last 20 years.
“The company has signed long term (gas sale) contract with two large industrial customers.”
- Myanmar gas exploration contract inked - Jun 11, 2012
- Iraq signs gas deal with Pakistani energy firm - Jul 16, 2012
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Essar Oil to invest $400 mn in Ranigunj gas project - Jan 21, 2010
- Essar sets high target of methane extraction in Bengal - Aug 08, 2012
- Cabinet awards coal-bed methane gas blocks - Jun 24, 2010
- Iran finds new gas field - Aug 09, 2011
- Bharat Petroleum, Videocon strike more gas off Mozambique - Nov 28, 2011
- South Korean firm to invest $1.7 bn in Myanmar - Sep 02, 2009
- US to explore oil in Gulf of Mexico - Jan 27, 2012
- Government to earn $2 bn as royalty from K-G basin - Dec 08, 2009
- Myanmar invites foreign firms to explore oil, gas - Jul 19, 2012
- China's oil reserves went up 20 percent in 2011 - Feb 24, 2012
- Gas policy reforms will incentivise production, draw investors: PM - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: coal bed methane, cubic feet, cubic meters, draft reports, essar oil, exploration and production, gas reserves, gas resources, industrial customers, industry values, international consultants, jharkhand, methane gas, oil equivalent, peak production, production business, ratna, recoverable resources, wealth creator, west bengal