New apex court bench to hear 2G case (Lead)March 16th, 2012 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) A new special apex court bench comprising Justice G.S. Singhvi and Justice A.K. Patnaik would hear all matters relating to the 2G case.
“There is a direction that all 2G matters be taken up by by a special bench comprising me and Justice A.K. Patnaik,” Justice Singhvi told Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy when his plea was called out for hearing.
Swamy has challenged a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special court’s verdict rejecting his plea to make Home Minister P. Chidambaram an accused in the 2G case.
Justice Singhvi directed the court’s registry to place Swamy’s petition before Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia so that it could be listed before an appropriate bench.
The new special bench will also hear a plea by the Centre for Public Interest Litigation seeking a probe into the role Chidambaram, then the finance minister, in the pricing of 2G spectrum when A. Raja was the telecommunications minister.
The CPIL has already written to the apex court registry to club its plea along with that of Swamy’s.
Senior counsel Mukul Rohtagi appeared for Essar Teleholdings Ltd., which has challenging its trial by the special court, and told the court that his client could only be tried by a magistrate and not by the trial court judge.
The matter would next be taken up March 23.
- New apex court bench to hear 2G cases - Mar 16, 2012
- Apex court reserves order on Chidambaram in 2G case - Apr 24, 2012
- Chidambaram allocated extra spectrum to 2G licence holders: Swamy - Apr 20, 2012
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- SC rejects Swamy's plea against Chidambaram (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition - Feb 15, 2012
- 2G trial judge can't hear cheating case: Telecom firm - Apr 25, 2012
- Don't drag Chidambaram into 2G case, CBI tells apex court - Sep 20, 2011
- 2G case: Swamy submits documents on Chidambaram's role - Sep 21, 2011
- 2G: Supreme Court to hear Essar Tech's plea Feb 17 - Feb 09, 2012
- 2G trial judge can't hear cheating case: Telecom firm (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Supreme Court to decide three 2G matters Thursday (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- SC rejects Swamy's plea against Chidambaram - Aug 24, 2012
- SC dismisses Swamy's plea against Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Chidambaram should face contempt of court trial: Swamy - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,