Netaji’s bodyguard felicitated on I-Day eve (With Image)August 14th, 2010 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 14 (IANS) Jagpal Yadav, one of the bodyguards of Subhas Chandra Bose, was felicitated by the Russian telecom giant Sistema on Independence-Day eve at a function here at the company’s India headquarters on the outskirts of Delhi.
“I was a born a ghulam (slave), we fought for freedom with Netaji and never thought we would live to see free India,” octogenarian Yadav said at the event, reminiscing his days during India’s pre-independence era.
“But now I know I am in a free and developing India,” he said, pleased to see all-round development, especially in this satellite city of the Indian capital that is home to scores of malls, residential complexes and multinationals and top Indian companies alike.
He said it was because of independence that his daughter, who he recalled was classmate of late astronaut Kalpana Chawla, could pursue quality education in India despite the family’s modest means and could then become a professional in the US.
Vsevolod Rozanov, the president and chief executive of the Russian firm’s Indian venture Sistems Shyam TeleServices announced that 10 freedom fighters will be honoured in each of the 12 circles the telecom company operates in.
“We salute the passion of Indian heroes who fought for the freedom of India. Through this gesture, we welcome India’s freedom heroes into our family and help them stay connected with their near and dear ones.”
Sistems operates in India using its MTS brand and has some 6 million subscribers of its mobile phone and high-speed broadband access services.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Russian Sistema's India unit to appoint banks for IPO - Mar 15, 2011
- Sistema Shyam issues over 547 mn shares to Russian government - Mar 30, 2011
- MTS launches advanced broadband service - Sep 01, 2011
- MTS launches zero paisa plan to retain customers - Feb 09, 2012
- Sistema Shyam to secure $200m Gazprombank loan - Dec 20, 2010
- SSTL's quarterly net loss rises to Rs.1,197 crore - Apr 11, 2012
- MTS launches two Android phones for below Rs.5,000 - Aug 31, 2011
- MTS crosses 10 million customers, re-brands itself - Mar 15, 2011
- Russia's Sistema to float public issue for Indian telecom arm - Aug 11, 2010
- Sistema Shyam to decide on IPO by year-end - Sep 06, 2010
- SSTL reports quarterly loss of Rs.657.6 crore - Sep 07, 2011
- Sistema Shyam TeleServices raises Rs.1,280 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Sistema to contest Supreme Court verdict on 2G licence - Feb 03, 2012
- Sistema Shyam expects 10 mn user base by December - Mar 25, 2010
- Sistema-Shyam launches MTS in Gujarat - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: bodyguards, education in india, free india, freedom fighters, freedom heroes, indian heroes, indian venture, million subscribers, multinationals, netaji, octogenarian, quality education, residential complexes, russian firm, satellite city, speed broadband, subhas chandra bose, telecom company, teleservices, yadav