Need to balance between constitutional duties and rights: FICCIAugust 16th, 2011 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) The government should strike a balance between protecting the parliament’s duty to determine laws and the individual’s right to protest, a leading industrial body said Tuesday after social activist Anna Hazare’s arrest.
The reaction from Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) came after Delhi Police arrested Hazare, who was then sent to seven days judicial custody in Tihar Jail, ahead of his fast-unto-death for a stronger anti-corruption Lokpal Bill.
“In a democracy the right of the country’s parliament in determining the nature of legislation and change in established law is supreme. At the same time, individual freedom of speech and assembly is an article of faith of our democracy,” said Harsh Mariwala, president, FICCI.
Mariwala further said: “Government action must find the necessary balance that strengthens our democratic institutions and conventions.”
According to Mariwala, the constitutional duties and rights need to be maintained as they are signs of stability which is necessary for investment.
“FICCI strongly feels that India’s vibrant democracy and strong institutional framework are pre-requisites for investment and thus need to be preserved and reinforced.”
- Hazare's path 'fraught with grave consequences', says PM (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar, says Delhi Police - Aug 16, 2011
- Government had 'bounden' duty to maintain peace: PM (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Former Bengal Lokayukta calls for stringent anti-graft law - Apr 15, 2011
- Lawyers plan strike Wednesday on Hazare's arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna Hazare wins Rabindranath Tagore peace award - Apr 08, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar Jail, protests engulf India (Evening Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Intellectuals, artists support Hazare; raise questions too! - Aug 16, 2011
- Lawyers' strike to back Anna hits litigants - Aug 17, 2011
- Subversion of parliament shouldn't be allowed: Lalu - Aug 17, 2011
- Ramlila grounds may be Hazare fast venue - Aug 17, 2011
- India Inc supports Anna Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- PM says Hazare's path is wrong, protests continue (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Pro-Anna demonstrations continue in Bihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Key faces of Anna Hazare's anti-corruption crusade - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, constitutional duties, corruption, delhi police, democratic institutions, ficci, freedom of speech, government action, indian chambers of commerce, individual freedom, institutional framework, judicial custody, necessary balance, New Delhi, pre requisites, seven days, social activist, vibrant democracy