Nawaz, ISI were kept in dark about Kargil operationJune 3rd, 2008 - 12:03 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore , June 3 (ANI): Former Rawalpindi Corps Commander Lt Gen (Retd) Jamshed Gulzar Kyani has said that former Pakistan premier Nawaz Sharif and the countrys intelligence agency ISI were kept in the dark about the Kargil operation in 1999.
Holding President Pervez Musharraf, who was then the Army Chief, responsible for the conflict, he said that although Nawaz was briefed on the Kargil issue, it was fairly late and the conflict had started by then.
It was not a comprehensive briefing that the chief executive should have been given, the Daily Times quoted Gulzar as saying.
Squarely blaming Musharraf and his team, including Lt Gen Mehmood, Lt Gen Muhammad Aziz and Maj Gen Javed Hassan, for the Kargil debacle, Gulzar said that besides Sharif, the majority of corps commanders were also kept in the dark about Kargil and that only Musharraf was given a proper briefing.
It was the Kargil issue that caused differences between Sharif and Musharraf, he added.
He also said that Nawaz went for the US support when he realised that the Pakistan Army was facing defeat in Kargil. (ANI)
- Musharraf responsible for Kargil conflict: Ex-ISI chief - Nov 01, 2010
- Musharraf had coup plans since becoming COAS in '98: Ex Pak Army Chief - Oct 12, 2010
- Kiyanis allegations against Musharraf childish - Jun 04, 2008
- Musharraf conveyed fabricated stories to Pakistanis about Kargil: Lt.Gen. Tariq - Sep 01, 2009
- Pakistan war-gaming to counter India's military plan - Jun 05, 2011
- Reshuffle in top brass of Pakistan Army - Apr 16, 2011
- Kargil martyrs remembered on Vijay Diwas - Jul 26, 2012
- Sharif demands Musharraf's trial over Kargil - Jun 03, 2008
- Army to seek review of tribunal order on Kargil records - Jul 12, 2010
- Chinar Corps celebrates 96th raising day - Jan 12, 2012
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Gilani names Zaheerul Islam as new ISI chief - Mar 10, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K Singh to be next army vice chief - Oct 10, 2011
- Army studying tribunal order on Kargil war - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: army chief, corps commander, corps commanders, countrys, debacle, facing defeat, gulzar, hassan, intelligence agency, isi, javed, june 3, kargil issue, kypakistan army, mehmood, nawaz sharif, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, rawalpindi