National Optical Fiber network to be set up: SibalJuly 22nd, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Communications Minister Kapil Sibal Friday said the telecom commission has recommended creating a National Optical Fiber Network (NOFN) to provide broadband connectivity to panchayats.
“The objective of the scheme is to extend initially the existing optical fiber network that extends upto districts headquarters upto gram panchayat level by utilising the universal service obligation fund (USOF),” Sibal told reporters here.
“The proposal will be placed before the cabinet for approval,” he added.
The minister said the cost of the initial phase of the NOFN scheme would be around Rs.20,000 crore.
A similar investment is likely to be made by the private sector to complement the NOFN infrastructure while providing services to individual users.
A committee to look into creation and implementation of NOFN was set up by the telecom department April 26 under the co-chairmanship of Sam Pitroda, adviser to the prime minister, and Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India.
A special purpose vehicle (SPV) will assume the responsibility for execution of the project after approval of the scheme by the cabinet. The SPV will be finally owned by the government.
Sibal also said that the state-owned BSNL has been entrusted with the task of undertaking the preparatory activity for project execution and establishment of the special purpose vehicle.
The benefits from the scheme are expected through additional employment, e-education, e-health, e-agriculture and reduction in migration of rural population to urban areas.
As per a World Bank study, with every 10 percent increase in broadband penetration, there is an increase in GDP growth by 1.4 percent.
The proposed NOFN will enable effective and faster implementation of various mission mode e-governance projects amounting to approx Rs.50,000 crore initiated by department of IT.
- Fibre optical scheme for panchayats approved - Oct 25, 2011
- UP to provide broadband service to all panchayats - Jul 31, 2012
- Panel formed to implement national optic fibre network - Jun 26, 2012
- C-DOT transfers optical fibre technology to firms - Dec 05, 2011
- C-DOT to transfer optical fiber technology to firms Monday - Dec 04, 2011
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- Cabinet note on VSNL land issue to be sent to cabinet soon: Sibal - Aug 29, 2011
- Key cabinet decisions of 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Telecom service cadre asks government for 'apt' jobs - Nov 23, 2011
- Sibal stresses on urgent need for finalization of national broadband plan - Jan 19, 2011
- Telecom commission meet soon to decide VSNL land issue - Jul 06, 2011
- CAG unravels Rs.14,000 crore cost overruns in hydro projects - Aug 31, 2012
- Saudi youth explore India's IT, education space - Mar 29, 2012
- Dedicated zones to boost electronics manufacture - Jul 05, 2012
- TRAI recommends $6 bn national broadband network - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: bsnl, chairmanship, e education, e governance, gdp growth, governance projects, gram panchayat, initial phase, kapil sibal, New Delhi, optical fiber network, project execution, sam pitroda, special purpose vehicle, spv, telecom commission, telecom department, universal service obligation, urban areas, usof