National highways in Kerala to be widenedJuly 25th, 2008 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, July 25 (IANS) The Kerala government said Friday that 837 km of national highways in the state will be widened to four-lane roads. “The project report on this is being prepared by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) and will be ready by Aug 15,” Public Works Minister Mons Joseph told reporters here.
National highways 17 and 47 will be developed on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis. The minister said it would be the responsibility of the state government to find the land for the road development. The central government would bear the cost of land acquisition and construction.
The minister also said that the NHAI is undertaking a feasibility study on developing six other national highways passing through Kerala. However, the government has not yet taken a decision whether these roads need to be widened.
He said the Kerala government will open quality control cells in all the districts in the state to monitor the quality of road construction. “At present we have only a small facility for this in the public works department,” he added.
- Land acquired for four-laning of Kashmir highway - Mar 13, 2011
- Four-laning of Shimla-Pathankot highway gets nod - Sep 03, 2012
- Government clears three highway projects - Jan 12, 2012
- Expanding national highways in east India vital for trade - Oct 31, 2010
- Team Anna adopting undemocratic means, says Jitin Prasada - Aug 01, 2012
- Nod to highway projects worth Rs.4,814 crore - Mar 01, 2012
- Single lane highways in Uttarakhand to be double laned - Jun 22, 2012
- Four-laning of highway in Madhya Pradesh approved - Sep 06, 2011
- L&T; arm signs Rs.2,600 crore agreement with NHAI - Jun 22, 2011
- L&T; arm signs Rs.2,600 crore highway construction agreement (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- India to raise $1.9 bn debt for building highways - Nov 23, 2011
- India will develop national highway linking Bangladesh - Jun 08, 2010
- Punjab to link all cities with highways - Apr 23, 2012
- 17 states pledge cooperation for highways projects - Apr 13, 2010
- On highway to Shimla? Be ready for rough ride - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: central government, control cells, feasibility study, kerala government, land acquisition, lane roads, mons, national highway authority of india, national highways, nhai, quality control, road construction, state government