National Amuminium signs pact with Rio Tinto for expansionDecember 12th, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 12 (IANS) National Aluminium Co. Ltd (Nalco), Asia’s largest integrated aluminium producer, has signed a deal with Canada’s Rio Tinto Alcan (RTA) for increasing its presence in India and abroad, Nalco said Friday. Under the strategic alliance agreement signed Thursday in Bhubaneswar, the two companies will share information to identify potential to create value for both the organisations, a company release said.
Rio Tinto’s business is exploring, mining, and processing mineral resources. Major products are aluminium, copper, diamonds, energy (coal and uranium), gold, industrial minerals (borax, titanium dioxide, salt, talc) and iron ore.
Activities span the world but are strongly represented in Australia and North America with significant business in South America, Asia, Europe and southern Africa.
Since inception, Nalco has a technology collaboration agreement with Aluminium Pechiney, a part of Rio Tinto Alcan.
The new strategic alliance agreement with Rio Tinto assumes significance in view of ambitious growth plans that Nalco has, both in India and abroad, involving an estimated investment of about $8 billion, the company said.
The alliance is expected to help Nalco enlarge its geographical spread, said Nalco managing director C.R. Pradhan.
“Our positive relationship with Nalco dates back to 1981 with the deployment of RTA’s alumina refining and smelting technologies in their highly successful facilities in India,” said Sandeep Biswas, senior vice president, business development, RTA.
“We are very pleased to be extending our relationship from a technical partnership to a business partnership” he added.
- Rio Tinto puts aluminium maker on the market - Oct 17, 2011
- Nalco officials concerned over project delays in Orissa - Jul 23, 2010
- NALCO gears up for expansion,to enter metal and power sectors - Oct 01, 2010
- NALCO signs agreement with mines ministry - Mar 16, 2011
- Vedanta looking to acquire coal assets in India and overseas - Feb 26, 2012
- Nalco signs pact for Rs.400 crore titanium project - Jan 15, 2011
- Nalco signs pact for Rs.400 crore titanium project (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Nalco plans subsidiaries to boost business diversification - Jan 08, 2010
- NALCO to finalise Indonesia coal deal by January - Oct 02, 2010
- NALCO to set up hospital in Odisha - Jul 05, 2012
- National Aluminium on a major diversification drive: Chairman - Jul 28, 2011
- Nalco to set up subsidiaries - Jul 08, 2011
- Ansuman Das takes over as NALCO chairman - Aug 30, 2012
- NALCO shelves project in South Africa, to go ahead in Iran - Nov 17, 2009
- Nalco to miss alumina production target - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: aluminium pechiney, aluminium producer, collaboration agreement, industrial minerals, nalco, rio tinto alcan, senior vice president business, technical partnership, technology collaboration, vice president business development