National Advisory Council gets two new membersJune 29th, 2012 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) Planning Commission member Mihir Shah and social activist Ashis Mondal have been inducted into the National Advisory Council (NAC) headed by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, an official said Friday. Three members - Harsh Mander, M.S. Swaminathan and Madhav Gadgil - have retired on the completion of their tenures.
While Mander was actively involved in the framing of the draft National Food Security Bill, Swaminathan, known as the father of India’s Green Revolution, played a key role in the exercise.
Gadgil was involved in the various working groups of NAC like the ones on denotified and nomadic tribes, tribal development and natural resource management.
Noted economist Jean Dreze, a key contributor to the draft food security bill, had opted out of the advisory body last year.
As member of the plan panel, Shah has been involved with rural development projects. Mondal has been working with the Bhopal-based NGO Action for Social Advancement.
The task of the NAC, which falls under the prime minister’s office, is to provide inputs for the formulation of policy by the government and support it in its legislative business.
The council comprises distinguished professionals drawn from diverse fields of development activity and has a special focus on social policy and the rights of the disadvantaged groups.
- National Advisory Council reviews its progress - Jul 06, 2012
- National advisory council to focus on food security bill - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Political appointees for advisory council soon' - May 31, 2010
- NAC to continue discussions on food security bill - Nov 26, 2010
- Swaminathan, Mander in new National Advisory Council (Lead) - Jun 01, 2010
- National Advisory Council first meeting in Delhi today - Jun 10, 2010
- NAC to hold further consultations on Food Security Bill - Aug 30, 2010
- PM nominates National Advisory Council members - Jun 02, 2010
- PM nominates 14 members for National Advisory Council - Jun 01, 2010
- Government didn't defend communal violence bill draft: NAC member - Oct 14, 2011
- Advisory council to focus on workers welfare - Jan 03, 2012
- Crucial National Advisory Council meeting Sep 24 - Sep 20, 2010
- NAC okays Food Security Bill, to be sent to PM - Jun 22, 2011
- Don't replace subsidised food with cash: Swaminathan - Aug 18, 2011
- NAC may finalise suggestions on food security bill today - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: advisory body, ashis, commission member, disadvantaged groups, green revolution, jean dreze, legislative business, madhav, mondal, national advisory council, national food security, natural resource management, ngo action, nomadic tribes, s green, security bill, social advancement, sonia gandhi, swaminathan, tribal development