Nathpa plant resumes power generation in Himachal PradeshAugust 11th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 11 (IANS) The 1,500-megawatt (MW) Nathpa Jhakri Hydropower project in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh Monday resumed power generation after remaining closed for more than 36 hours, a senior official said. The closure had affected the electricity supply to many states in north India, including Punjab, Haryana and New Delhi.
“The silt content in the Sutlej river had reached 14,000 ppm (parts per million) Saturday night, forcing the suspension of power generation in all the six units of 250 MW each,” Vijay Verma, deputy general manager of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam, told IANS.
He said the power generation was resumed only after the silt level in the river came down to the permissible limits of 4,000-5,000 ppm.
In June this year the project was closed for nine days due to high silt level.
The closure of power generation is causing a daily loss of Rs.90 million to the project authorities.
The power project feeds many states of north India and generates about 38 million units every day. Punjab gets 114 MW power daily from the project, Haryana 64 MW, Chandigarh 8 MW, Himachal Pradesh 547 MW, New Delhi 142 MW, Jammu and Kashmir 105 MW, Rajasthan 112 MW, Uttar Pradesh 225 MW and Uttarakhand 38 MW.
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Power crisis in north as Himachal hydropower project shuts - Jun 24, 2010
- Himachal power plant resumes generation - Aug 03, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: electricity supply, haryana, hydropower project, jal, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mw power, New Delhi, nine days, permissible limits, power generation, ppm parts per million, project authorities, punjab, rajasthan, rs 90, states of north india, sutlej river, uttarakhand, vidyut