Nathpa Jhakri power plant shutdown continuesJune 13th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 13 (IANS) The 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri hydel power project in Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur district, which also supplies electricity to other states in north India, remained closed for the third consecutive day Friday due to high silt level in the Sutlej river. The plant has been closed since Wednesday after the silt content in the river increased to 7,500 parts per million (ppm). The permissible limit is 4,000 ppm.
“However, it has reduced to 5,500 ppm,” Vijay Kumar Verma, deputy general manager of the Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam, told IANS Friday.
Verma said that power generation could be resumed in a day or two.
The Nigam is losing Rs.90 million due to the shutdown and the losses incurred so far is more than Rs.200 million, the official added.
The closure has led to a power crisis in northern India. The northern power grid came under strain as the states procuring power from the Nathpa Jhakri project were forced to overdraw from the grid.
The project has been generating about 38 million units every day. Punjab is getting 114 MW power daily from the project, Haryana 64 MW, Chandigarh 8 MW, Himachal Pradesh 547 MW, Delhi 142 MW, Jammu and Kashmir 105 MW, Rajasthan 112 MW, Uttar Pradesh 225 MW and Uttrakhand 38 MW.
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jun 25, 2010
- Power crisis in north as Himachal hydropower project shuts - Jun 24, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- SJVNL achieves record power generation - Oct 09, 2011
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: himachal pradesh, hydel power, jal, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kinnaur district, mw power, north india, northern india, plant shutdown, power crisis, power generation, power grid, punjab, rajasthan, rs 200, shimla, sutlej river, vidyut, vijay kumar