Nashik onion farmers demand lifting of export banFebruary 10th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Nashik (Maharashtra), Feb 9 (IANS) Hundreds of farmers took to the streets here Wednesday and blocked the busy Mumbai-Agra highway to protest against the fall in onion prices caused by the ban on its export, police said.”Hundreds of farmers blocked the national highway near Pimpalgaon, Chandwad and Lasalgaon (three main vegetable markets of Nashik district) for a few hours,” a police officer said.
The protestors demanded the ban on onion export be lifted as it led to the fall in prices to Rs.500-700 per quintal.
The wholesale rates of onions December last year had shot up to Rs.6,300 per quintal in both Lasalgoan and Pimpalgaon markets.
“The ban on onion exports should now be lifted. Due to the ban, the sale of onions in the wholesale market has fallen tremendously,” vice president of National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation Changdeo Holkar said.
President of Onion Exporters’ Association Sohanlal Bhandari said: “The wholesale rates of onions have come down to as low as Rs.6-8 per kg. If this continues, the farmers will not even be able recover their production costs.”
Agriculture market analysts also noticed a sharp fall in prices of other vegetables owing to export surplus.
“Carrots that were sold for Rs.60 per kg are now being sold for only Rs.18 per kg. The price of green peas that was as high as Rs.150 per kg three weeks ago have reduced to only Rs.10 per kg,” said a Mumbai-based analyst.
- Onion prices fall in Nashik, Azadpur: Government - Dec 21, 2010
- Onion export ban lifted - Sep 20, 2011
- Onion prices shoot up in Maharashtra - Sep 14, 2011
- Nasik onion traders on strike, prices drop in Maharashtra - Jan 10, 2011
- Nashik onion markets to re-open Wednesday - Sep 20, 2011
- Onion export ban to be reviewed - Sep 19, 2011
- Onion prices to fall further: NAFED - Nov 27, 2010
- Nafed monitoring markets to check onion prices - Nov 26, 2010
- Onion prices decline following raids on godowns in UP - Jan 08, 2011
- Onions now at Rs.37.5/kg after raids on hoarders: Minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Onion cheap in wholesale market, but not at your vendor's - Dec 22, 2010
- Sheila Dikshit blames media for spreading rumours on price rise - Dec 23, 2010
- Don't overstock onions, traders say - Dec 23, 2010
- Onion export ban was not panic decision: Minister - Sep 21, 2011
- Fresh onion supply pulls down wholesale price in Delhi - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: agriculture market, bhandari, cooperative marketing, export ban, exporters association, green peas, holkar, maharashtra, market analysts, marketing federation, onion export, onion exports, onion farmers, onion prices, protestors, rs 500, rs 6, vegetable markets, wholesale market, wholesale rates