Nanotechnology can help India ensure food security: ScientistApril 1st, 2010 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) Nanoscience and nanotechnology can help India ensure food security by incresing crop yields and reducing consumption, an expert in the field said Thursday.
“Nanoscience and nanotechnology can be used to ensure precise supply of water and nutrients to crops, thereby increasing the yield and reducing wastage,” P. Somasundaran, a well known name in the field of nanotechnology, said at a meeting at the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd. (NAFED) office here.
“Similarly, suitable use of nanotechnology can also help reduce the amount of food each person needs by ensuring efficient consumption patterns. A third application can be in preventing damage to stored foodgrains,” added Somasundaran, who was conferred the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award, this year.
Somasundaran, who teaches at Columbia University in the US, has agreed to chair a task force being set up by the NAFED on use of science and nanotechnology to boost agricultural production and prevent damage to foodgrain, said a NAFED statement.
He is an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Food security necessary to prevent peoples' backlash: NAFED chief (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- India can be agricultural superpower: farm cooperative chief - May 03, 2010
- Indian-American elected to Royal Society of Canada - Sep 10, 2012
- For agri help, 20 million farmers to dial in - Oct 28, 2011
- Bangalore Nano to focus on business opportunities - Aug 28, 2012
- Organic fertilisers cut input costs, raise crops' life - Feb 25, 2012
- Use space technology for food security: Former ISRO chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Three Borlaug institutes to come up in India - Oct 05, 2011
- Pawar favours introducing GM crops in India - Dec 04, 2010
- Nanomaterials contaminating soil, food crops? - Aug 22, 2012
- Second green revolution needed for food security: President - Aug 06, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bets on Pulse Wonder to increase production - Jan 10, 2012
- New tool can detect deadly anthrax attack in 15 minutes - Jul 07, 2011
- Lift curbs on research in biotech crops: Scientists - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Ban on Bt brinjal hurting Indian scientists' - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,