Nano can come back to Singur if Tatas want: officialApril 1st, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 1 (IANS) West Bengal may have lost a chance to nurture world’s least expensive car but there is a possibility of the project coming back to its original site Singrur if the makers Tata Motors decide so, a top official said here Wednesday.
Principal Secretary (Industry) Sabyasachi Sen’s comment followed news reports quoting him as saying that the Nano “will definitely be made in West Bengal as the low-cost car needs at least four to five plants”.
Sen said he had only talked about the possibility of the car project coming back to the state.
“I said we have lost the chance of being the first production unit of Nano. However, there may be a possibility of Singur later, if local objections can be resolved through dialogue. Because ultimately Tata Motors may go for more than one production unit in India. This decision rests with Tata Motors,” Sen clarified.
Nano was scheduled to roll out from Singur in Hoogly district, 40 km from here.
But Singur turned into a battleground for about two-and-a-half years from May 2006 after the state government announced the project.
The opposition Trinamool led a violent protest demanding the return of 400 acres of the acquired 997.11 acres to farmers. But the Tatas were against any relocation of ancillaries in the integrated project.
On Oct 3 last year, the company announced that it had scrapped its plans to bring out the small car, priced at Rs.100,000, from the facility in Singur. The plant was shifted to Sanand in Gujarat.
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Making Singur land accord public will take time: Bengal minister - May 27, 2011
- 400 acres to be returned to Singur farmers: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Mamata's Singur proposal draws mixed reactions - Feb 24, 2010
- Mamata now wants to have rail coach factory in Singur (Lead) - Nov 13, 2009
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- SC notice to Tata Motors on Singur land (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Singur celebrates passage of bill for land's return - Jun 14, 2011
- Mrinal Sen expresses doubt over Singur land - Jun 14, 2011
- Modi to visit Japan, meet Suzuki officials (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: ancillaries, april 1, battleground, car project, company announced that, dialogue, expensive car, farmers, gujarat, integrated project, news reports, objections, principal secretary, relocation, small car, state government, tata motors, two and a half years, violent protest, west bengal