Nambiar takes over from Chawla as aviation secretary (Lead)September 15th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 15 (IANS) M. Madhavan Nambiar, special secretary in the Department of Information Technology, was Monday appointed civil aviation secretary replacing Ashok Chawla, who has been moved to the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) as secretary.The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) Monday approved these appointments, a government statement said. Both Nambiar and Chawla are expected to take over their new assignments Sep 17.
Nambiar, a 1974 batch IAS officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre, will have to grapple with not only the slowdown in the aviation industry but also the financial health of the loss-making national carrier, Air India.
Chawla, a 1973 batch Gujarat cadre IAS officer, was the additional secretary in the DEA till around 18 months ago, before being appointed the civil aviation secretary.
The DEA secretary is a key member of the team responsible for preparing the union budget and is designated as the finance secretary.
There are four secretaries in the finance ministry, heading the departments of economic affairs, revenue, financial services and expenditure.
Of them, financial services secretary Arun Ramanathan and revenue secretary P.V. Bhide were also considered for the finance secretary’s post.
The DEA’s top post was lying vacant since D. Subbarao took over as the governor of the Reserve Bank of India Sep 5.
The ACC has also approved the appointments of Rahul Sarin, Jharkhand cadre IAS officer of the 1974 batch, as secretary, Department of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
He is presently secretary in the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
But Sarin would also continue to hold additional charge of his current post till a successor is appointed.
- R Gopalan appointed Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs - Jan 31, 2011
- M. Nambiar is new civil aviation secretary - Sep 15, 2008
- Seth assumes charge as cabinet secretary (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Srivastava named civil aviation secretary - Jul 26, 2012
- Shashi Kant Sharma takes over as Secretary in Finance Ministry - Feb 09, 2011
- Arvind Mayaram appointed economic affairs secretary - Jul 26, 2012
- Shashi Kant Sharma next defence secretary - Jul 07, 2011
- Sangita Gairola is new culture secretary - Feb 29, 2012
- Zaidi takes charge as new Civil Aviation Secretary - Nov 30, 2010
- Ajit Kumar Seth to be new cabinet secretary - May 24, 2011
- Air India gets new chief, turnaround strategy soon (Intro Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Ajit Seth is new cabinet secretary (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Sunil Mitra is revenue secretary, Sumit Bose to head disinvestment - Feb 01, 2010
- Seth takes over as cabinet secretary tomorrow - Jun 13, 2011
- New chief, turnaround strategy for Air India soon (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: air india, appointments committee, aviation industry, bank of india, civil aviation, department of personnel and training, finance ministry, finance secretary, food processing industries, government statement, ministry of personnel, national carrier, public grievances, ramanathan, reserve bank of india, revenue secretary, secretary department, subbarao, training ministry, union budget