Nalco’s second phase expansion by year endApril 30th, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, April 30 (IANS) The second phase Rs.5 billion expansion of India’s state-run National Aluminium Co Ltd (Nalco) will be completed by the end of this year, a company statement said Wednesday, a day after it was accorded the much awaited Navratna status. The expansion plans involves augmenting its bauxite mine capacity and increasing the capacity of its alumina smelter.
Plans are also afoot to set up smelter and power plants in Indonesia and South Africa by the company.
The company last year signed a deal with Indonesia to set up a 500,000 tonne smelter and a 1,250 MW capacity power plant in that country, the release said. Nalco plans to invest around $3.4 billion in this greenfield project, an official of the company said.
The company which is a flagship public sector undertaking of the ministry of mines was granted the Navratna status Tuesday, according to a memorandum by the department of public enterprises.
Navratna status is conferred on select Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) after becoming significant players in the economic development of the country.
On achieving the status, certain powers are delegated to those CPSEs that had comparative advantages and capacity to become global giants.
- NALCO gears up for expansion,to enter metal and power sectors - Oct 01, 2010
- Nalco puts Indonesia smelter project on hold - Aug 15, 2012
- NALCO to expand capacity at Orissa unit - Apr 25, 2011
- NALCO to finalise Indonesia coal deal by January - Oct 02, 2010
- Nalco officials concerned over project delays in Orissa - Jul 23, 2010
- NALCO signs agreement with mines ministry - Mar 16, 2011
- NALCO shelves project in South Africa, to go ahead in Iran - Nov 17, 2009
- Hindalco to invest $5 billion more, double aluminium capacity - Dec 06, 2011
- Nalco targets to produce 4.6 lakh tonnes of aluminium - Mar 12, 2010
- Nalco eyes Tajikistan, Congo for investment in smelters - Jun 05, 2008
- Nalco plans subsidiaries to boost business diversification - Jan 08, 2010
- National Aluminium on a major diversification drive: Chairman - Jul 28, 2011
- Vedanta Aluminium to raise capacity to 2.5 million tonnes - Dec 06, 2011
- National Aluminium plans nuclear power plant - Sep 20, 2009
- Nalco to set up subsidiaries - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: aluminium, comparative advantages, economic development, expansion plans, global giants, greenfield project, India, indonesia, memorandum, nalco, phase expansion, power plant, power plants, public sector enterprises, public sector undertaking, second phase, smelter, south africa, year end