NALCO to resume full-capacity bauxite production at Orissa mineMay 12th, 2009 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 12 (IANS) State-run National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) will resume bauxite production at full capacity at its Panchpatmali mine in Orissa Tuesday, more than a month after the mine was attacked by Maoists, a top official said.
“The workers have agreed to join the late shift from today (Tuesday). Our bauxite output is going to be normal,” P.K. Mohapatra, head of the Damanjodi refinery and mine, told IANS.
Production was stopped for several days after Maoist rebels attacked the Panchpatmali mine in Koraput district, some 370 km from here, April 12.
At least 10 security personnel and five Maoist guerrillas were killed in a gun battle.
Though the work was restarted April 22, the output was down at least 35 percent as workers refused to do the night shifts.
The production of bauxite had come down to 9,000 tonnes per day from 14,000 tonnes earlier.
Senior company officials held discussion with mine workers Monday. The workers agreed to work in the late shift after getting assurances that adequate security measures would be taken and night patrolling by security personnel would be intensified.
NALCO is Asia’s largest integrated aluminium producer. The bauxite from Panchpatmali mine feeds the refinery in Damanjodi town, located nearby.
- Nalco to miss alumina production target - Feb 23, 2011
- Nalco's Orissa mine production drops after Maoist attack - May 05, 2009
- NALCO to expand capacity at Orissa unit - Apr 25, 2011
- NALCO gets state government nod for new bauxite mine - Mar 02, 2010
- NALCO to set up hospital in Odisha - Jul 05, 2012
- Panchpatmali mine restarts operations after Maoist attack - Apr 22, 2009
- Maoist held for Nalco mine attack - Apr 26, 2009
- NALCO ups security at bauxite mines - Jul 17, 2009
- NALCO signs agreement with mines ministry - Mar 16, 2011
- Security strenghtened at NALCO mine after Maoist threat - Aug 12, 2009
- 14 killed in Maoist attack on Nalco mine in Orissa (Second lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- 11 killed in Maoist attack at Orissa aluminium mine (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Security forces engage Maoists in gun battle after mine attack - Apr 14, 2009
- 11 killed in Maoist attack in Orissa - Apr 13, 2009
- NALCO's aluminium production up by 19.4 per cent - Apr 03, 2010
Tags: adequate security measures, aluminium producer, asia, assurances, bhubaneswar, company officials, gun battle, late shift, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoist rebels, maoists, mohapatra, nalco, orissa, refinery, security personnel, tonnes