Nalanda Capital invests 35 mn dollars in Vaibhav GemsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:09 am ICT by admin
“We look forward to their insights and expertise to take Vaibhav to the next level,” he added.
The total transaction size, if warrants are exercised, will be about 35 million dollars.
Nalanda Capital Pte. Ltd. is a Singapore-based private equity investment firm. The firm’s India fund closed at 400 million dollars in late May 2007.
Nalanda Capital Founder and Manager Pulak Prasad will represent the firm on the VGL Board. Prasad was previously Managing Director in India for the global private equity firm Warburg Pincus.
VGL has expanded over the past several years to include jewellery shopping channels in the U.K., Germany and the U.S., 19 retail stores in Caribbean and Mexico, its own manufacturing units in India, Thailand and China and a wholesale operation.
In 2005, VGL acquired New York-based STS Jewels and its subsidiaries, which have continued to expand products and territories.
“The Team at Nalanda Capital feels that VGL’s business model and recent expansions show promise for long-term growth and a wise investment for its fund as the company is well diversified and vertically integrated,” said Agrawal.
The team at Nalanda Capital has had a long and successful track record of private equity investing in India.
Given the peculiar nature of the Indian private equity industry, the Nalanda team believes that the right long-term investing model for India is to apply the private equity discipline in the public markets.
The team has successfully applied this discipline in their professional careers before Nalanda. (ANI)
- Max India to acquire Warburg Pincus's stake in Max Healthcare - Jun 17, 2011
- Devas Multimedia gets new chairman - Mar 30, 2012
- Relax investment norms for private equity funds: CII - Aug 21, 2011
- Defining moment expected for corporate mergers, takeovers (Comment) - Jul 18, 2010
- Reliance Mutual Fund launches gold savings fund - Feb 09, 2011
- Private equity firm Apollo to invest Rs.2,250 crore in Welspun group firms - Jun 29, 2011
- South African fund shows interest in Indian insurance - Sep 07, 2011
- Rajiv Jain new chairman of Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Hero Group arranges funds to acquire Hero Honda stakes - Mar 08, 2011
- Baring Private Equity invests $90 million in Cethar Vessels - Dec 30, 2010
- L Capital's $640 million for investments in India, China - Mar 30, 2011
- PE Sequoia plans $600 mn investment in India - Mar 15, 2011
- Reliance Life gets central bank nod for stake sale to Nippon - Sep 30, 2011
- Dubai-based firm to launch $400 mn equity fund in India - Jul 21, 2010
- Reliance Life concludes 26 percent stake sale to Nippon for $680mn - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: discipline, expand products, gems, india fund, investing in india, million dollars, nalanda, peculiar nature, prasad, private equity firm, private equity industry, private equity investment, professional careers, shopping channels, transaction size, units in india, vaibhav, vgl, warburg pincus, wise investment