Mutual funds should increase retail participation: RegulatorJune 17th, 2009 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 17 (IANS) Mutual funds should look at increasing their assets under management (AUM) from retail investors given the huge redemption pressures faced by some funds last year, the market watchdog chief said Wednesday.
“Higher percentage of AUM must come from retail. Last year was a tough year for mutual fund industry and redemption pressure came mainly from corporates,” said Securities and Exchange Board chairman C.B. Bhave at a mutual fund seminar here.
The Reserve Bank of India had opened special borrowing windows for mutual funds last fiscal as a majority of them faced redemption pressures from corporate customers.
“I am not saying that corporates should be driven away,” added Bhave.
Comparing stability of the retail investor vis-a-vis corporates, he said: “The Sensex came down from 21,000 to 9,000 levels but there was no redemption pressure scare from the retail side.”
Maintaining that though the mutual fund industry had passed unscathed in the recent global crisis, he added: “There were certain issues, particularly in the way liquid schemes of mutual funds were structured, which need to be tackled.”
- Surge in foreign fund flow into infrastructure - Feb 05, 2012
- Indian settlement system robust: Market regulator - Feb 25, 2009
- Mutual funds should come out with simpler products: Bhave - Jun 23, 2010
- SBI wants CRR phased out for 'more efficient' banking (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Reliance Mutual bets big on retail investors - Oct 02, 2011
- Government assures help to revive mutual fund business - Jul 02, 2012
- SEBI to abide by newly changed govt. norms' in ULIP controversy - Jun 23, 2010
- Reliance launches 'Any Time Money' card - Dec 14, 2011
- New tax saving scheme for equity investment, STT cut proposed - Mar 16, 2012
- Reliance Mutual looking for foreign partners to go global - Oct 02, 2011
- India raises overseas investment limit in government, corporate bonds (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- SEBI alerts investors about risky market - Jan 14, 2011
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation persists - Jul 31, 2012
- South Korean banks' foreign borrowing growth slows - Apr 18, 2012
- Mutual funds body not to launch transaction platform - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: assets under management, aum, bank of india, board chairman, corporate customers, corporates, exchange board, global crisis, market watchdog, mutual fund industry, mutual funds, participation, redemption pressure, reserve bank of india, retail investor, retail investors, retail side, scare, securities and exchange, sensex