Murdoch may shut down all British newspapers: ReportJuly 14th, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 14 (IANS) Rupert Murdoch is reportedly considering the option of dispensing with the News International, the group that owns his British newspapers - The Sun, The Times and the Sunday Times, a media report said.
The media mogul discussed this possibility when he met his “inner circle” Wednesday, the Daily Express reported Thursday.
Sources said Murdoch was “locked in a series of meetings” to specifically consider the option, following the closure of the 168-year-old News of the World.
They said Murdoch was concerned to protect the reputation of the parent News Corporation from further damage after the value of its shares went down.
While one said “Murdoch has the ruthlessness to amputate the arm that is threatening the rest of News Corporation,” another said a sale was now a “live possibility”.
Murdoch’s American newspaper The Wall Street Journal also reported he was now examining selling News International.
“News Corp has informally explored whether there were any potential buyers for its UK newspaper unit,” it said.
Selling News International could fetch about 300 million pounds (around $484 million).
- James Murdoch resigns as News International chairman - Feb 29, 2012
- Rebekah Brooks arrested? - Jul 17, 2011
- Murdoch quits as News International director (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Murdoch to launch Sun on Sunday next week - Feb 20, 2012
- Rebekah Brooks released on bail - Jul 18, 2011
- News International CEO Rebekah Brooks quits (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Rupert Murdoch to appear in court - Jul 19, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks arrested over phone-hacking allegations (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Murdoch not fit to lead News Corp: British MPs - May 01, 2012
- James Murdoch quits boards of Sun, Times - Nov 23, 2011
- Murdoch's News Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB - Jul 13, 2011
- Five employees of The Sun held in Britain - Feb 11, 2012
- News of the World ex-editor may be arrested over phone hacking - Jul 08, 2011
- Rupert Murdoch resigns as News International director - Jul 22, 2012
- Man attacks Rupert Murdoch during hearing - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: british newspapers, closure, daily express, inner circle, international news, july 14, media mogul, news corp, news corporation, news international, news of the world, newspapers report, old news, parent news, rupert murdoch, ruthlessness, selling news, sunday times, wall street, wall street journal