Murdoch launches Dow Jones index for IndiaAugust 4th, 2008 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 4 (IANS) News Corporation chairman and chief executive Rupert Murdoch, who last year acquired global business news and information services firm Dow Jones in a $5 billion buyout, launched the Dow Jones index for India here Monday. “We are unveiling the Dow Jones India Titan 30-stock index that will track the market performance of prominent Indian companies,” Murdoch said.
The Dow Jones index will measure the performance of the 30 largest and most liquid stocks listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange. The final composition of the index is based on the ranking by free float market capitalization and 12 months average daily trading volume.
The top five companies in the index by free float market capitalization are Reliance Industries, Infosys Technologies, HDFC, Bharti Airtel and Larsen and Toubro.
The three biggest sectors represented in the index are financials, basic materials and oil and gas.
“We will track capital inflows both from and to India in the coming years and this is an opportunity for us as a financial information company,” Murdoch said.
- Murdoch to invest $100 million on 6 new TV channels in India (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex bounces back, closes 112 points up (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex loses 367 points; IT, bank, auto stocks hit (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 136.55 points; capital goods, banking stocks up - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 63.33 points; capital goods, banking, realty stocks up - May 21, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Rate hike fears weigh Sensex, broader markets lacklustre - Jul 25, 2011
- Sensex tanks 77 points; metal, auto, power stocks hit (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 64 points on rate cut hopes - Jun 12, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex down 67.17 points in the afternoon trade - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes below 16,000-mark amid growth worries (Round-up) - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: basic materials, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, capital inflows, dow jones, dow jones index, free float, global business, hdfc, information company, information services firm, infosys technologies, larsen and toubro, market capitalization, market performance, national stock exchange, news corporation, reliance industries, rupert murdoch, stock index