Munda appeals to Marandi to end hunger strikeMay 5th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 5 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda Thursday appealed to former chief minister and Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) president Babulal Marandi to end his five-day old hunger-strike over the ongoing demolition drive in the state.
“We appeal to Marandi to end the hunger strike. This (demolition drive) is not a political agenda…There is a need to sit together and find a solution,” Munda told reporters here Thursday, the fifth day of Marandi’s hunger-strike.
Marandi sat on his indefinite hunger-strike Sunday, demanding a special session of the assembly to find out ways to stop the demolition drive.
Over 5,000 illegal structures have been demolished in Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Dhanbad, Bokaro and other districts in the last one-and-half months on the directives of the Jharkhand High Court.
The demolition drive has claimed 13 lives and rendered more than 1.20 lakh people homeless.
- Jharkhand opposition rejects rehabilitation policy - May 01, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- Jharkhand's rural areas hit by Maoist shutdown - Apr 23, 2011
- Marandi ends hunger strike - May 08, 2011
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- Marandi fasts in support of Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Police complaint against Jharkhand BJP president - Jul 02, 2011
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Marandi, legislators held in anti-encroachment protest - Mar 31, 2011
- Opposition protests hit road, rail services - Mar 09, 2011
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Jharkhand assembly disrupted over Marandi's arrest - Mar 10, 2011
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Munda wins Jharkhand by-poll - Feb 17, 2011
- Four JVM-P workers killed in accident - Aug 22, 2010