Mumbai’s auto-richshaws to get electronic metersOctober 9th, 2011 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 9 (IANS) The Maharashtra government Sunday ordered the installation of electronic meters on the around 100,000 auto-rickshaws plying in Mumbai’s eastern and western suburbs to prevent over-charging by the drivers.
At a meeting between Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and 10 unions of auto-rickshaw drivers, the government also rejected their demand to hike fares in view of the recent fuel price hike.
However, Mumbai Auto-rickshawmen Union President Sharad Rao said that the meters will be installed only after clearing the valid objections of the unions.
“We are ready for it, but we have certain genuine reservations and the chief minister has agreed to clear them before implementing the electronic meters scheme,” Rao told IANS.
Chavan said that the matter of a fare hike would be referred to a committee, which would submit its recommendation before the government takes any decision.
Rao said the unions have demanded an annual hike in fares every January to cover rising fuel costs and other inflationary pressures.
“However, Chavan is agreeable to a revision every two years, but we are insisting on an annual hike,” Rao told reporters.
The government has also rejected the unions’ demands to ply in the congested south Mumbai, which is currently served by taxis.
Presently, there are 97,000 auto-rickshaws plying Mumbai’s suburbs and another 650,000 in rest of Maharashtra, giving employment to over two million people, Rao added.
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Auto strike hits hard Mumbai suburban commuters - Apr 16, 2012
- Dial-an-auto soon in Maharashtra - Apr 03, 2012
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Mumbai autorickshaw drivers divided on strike - Apr 15, 2012
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Auto strike hits Delhi hard - Mar 31, 2011
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Indefinite auto strike in Delhi from Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- Mumbai taxis, auto-rickshaws on strike - Jun 22, 2010
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,