Mumbai to get India’s first monorailNovember 10th, 2008 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 10 (IANS) An Indian-Malaysian consortium led by Larsen and Toubro will construct the country’s first monorail system here, it was announced Monday.The LT-led consortium, which includes Scomi Engineering Bhd of Malaysia, will implement the Rs.24.6-billion project for the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA).
The contract involves design, construction, installation, commissioning and integrated testing of the 20-km-long monorail project.
In the first phase, an 11-km monorail line will be constructed from Jacob Circle in south-central Mumbai to Wadala. In the second phase, a nine-km line will be built to link Chembur in north-east Mumbai with Wadala.
The project, with 18 stations en route, will be completed in 30 months. It is expected to ease the congestion in the highly crowded Jacob Circle, Wadala and Chembur areas, apart from providing inter-connectivity to the suburban railways network and the forthcoming Metro railway as part of the multi-modal transport system being envisioned by MMRDA.
Malaysia’s Scomi ranks among the world’s top three monorail manufacturers, offering urban transportation solutions by providing latest monorail electro-mechanical systems and rolling stock.
LT, a leader in technology, engineering and construction, launched a dedicated railway business unit last year to address various rail-related business projects in the country.
- Two killed as monorail slab collapses - Jul 01, 2011
- Mumbai to get India's first monorail in two weeks - Sep 15, 2010
- One killed in Mumbai monorail project site accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Malaysia firm partners with Geodesic for monorail project - Oct 30, 2009
- Monorail maker seeks site, partner for Indian plant - Jan 22, 2010
- Metro Rail-I to be operational in Mumbai in 2012 - Sep 05, 2011
- Two killed as monorail slab collapses (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- 'Mumbai mega infra-projects to be completed by 2013' - Mar 07, 2012
- Two consortiums left in race for Mumbai Monorail project - Jul 15, 2008
- US institute to advise on security for Mumbai trains, buses - Jun 15, 2010
- Mumbai Metro delayed till March 2013 - Jun 12, 2012
- Trial run of monorail successful in Mumbai - Jan 26, 2010
- 'Structural failure of launching girder led to Mumbai bridge crash' - Jul 20, 2012
- Feasibility study for new Mumbai suburban rail corridors - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala's first monorail in Thiruvananthapuram - Aug 03, 2011