Mumbai sea bridge to be named after Rajiv GandhiJune 30th, 2009 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 30 (IANS) India’s first sea bridge, which was thrown open to traffic in this financial capital Tuesday, will be named after former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan announced here.
Chavan’s announcement was in response to a surprise demand to this effect by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
“Rajiv Gandhi was born in Mumbai, he was a son of the soil and it will be appropriate that the bridge be named after him,” Pawar said in his speech at an inaugural function.
Amidst thunderous applause, Chavan accepted Pawar’s suggestion and made the announcement on the dais at the Rang Sharda Auditorium, Worli, where the official inauguration function was held after the bridge was thrown open by United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson and Rajiv Gandhi’s widow Sonia Gandhi.
Called the Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL), the 5.6-km bridge on the Arabian Sea cost Rs.1,634-crore ($16.34 billion) and the authorities hope some 150,000 vehicles will use it each day for a toll that ranges between Rs.50 and Rs.100 per trip depending on the size of the automobile.
- Mumbai sea bridge to be named after Rajiv Gandhi, opposition upset (Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi opens India's first sea bridge (Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
- India's first sea bridge is showcased as engineering marvel (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
- Maharashtra may review road toll policy - Aug 10, 2012
- Hour-long traffic snarl for 7-minute Mumbai sea bridge drive - Jul 01, 2009
- India's second sea-bridge to come up in Mumbai - Sep 08, 2011
- A fit Bal Thackeray attacks PM, Sonia - Oct 06, 2011
- Reliance Infrastructure signs MoU for Worli-Haji Ali sea link - Jun 29, 2010
- 'Mumbai mega infra-projects to be completed by 2013' - Mar 07, 2012
- Mumbai Sea Link's second carriageway to open tomorrow - Mar 23, 2010
- Maharashtra takes step forward on Mumbai-Raigad sea bridge - Nov 24, 2011
- Thackeray hits back at Ajit Pawar for letting off 'gas' - Jun 01, 2011
- Raj Travel owner kills himself - Aug 01, 2012
- I had been invited to sea link by minister: Big B - Mar 25, 2010
- Amitabh is nation's pride: BJP - Mar 25, 2010
Tags: agriculture minister, arabian sea, ashok, bandra worli sea link, chavan, dais, former prime minister, inaugural function, maharashtra chief minister, nationalist congress party, ncp, progressive alliance, rajiv gandhi, rs 50, sharad pawar, son of the soil, sonia gandhi, thunderous applause, UPA, worli