Mumbai local train motormen go on flash strikeJuly 20th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 20 (IANS) Suburban services on Mumbai’s Western Railway line took a hit Friday as over 100 motormen - as drivers of these trains are called - went on a flash strike by taking mass sick leave to press for better facilities and security, an official said.
The striking motormen demanded appointment of assistant motormen so that they do not have to work overtime. They also demanded better security.
The main suburban railway station of Churchgate in south Mumbai saw unprecedented crowds as people started gathering, owing to lack of train services - which usually run one every five minutes.
The strike started only a couple of hours before the peak travelling time that starts around 6 p.m. as commuters start for home after work hours.
Meanwhile, Western Railway officials have started a meeting with the striking motormen and are negotiating their terms and conditions.
“We will try to resolve their issues and have them resume work immediately,” a Western Railway official said.
Western Railway management has also started making alternate arrangements and deployed non-striking motormen with extra shifts.
Most local railway stations, however, were alerting commuters with announcements on public address system that the trains are either running late or have been cancelled.
- Mumbai local train motormen call off strike (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Mumbai commuters hit by twin transport strike - Aug 18, 2011
- Two Mumbai local trains collide, no casualties (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Minor collision between two Mumbai trains, no casualties - Jun 17, 2012
- Six injured in Mumbai train collision (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Mumbai paralysed as motormen boycott trains (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai suburban train drivers end strike (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai's highly-efficient suburban rail network is its lifeline - May 04, 2010
- Railway motormen call off their strike - May 04, 2010
- Crippling Mumbai train strike finally ends (Roundup) - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai suburban train service getting back to normal - Apr 20, 2012
- Mixed response to railway budget from Mumbaikars - Feb 25, 2011
- Maharashtra Government imposes ESMA on striking motormen - May 04, 2010
- 170 motormen detained under ESMA - May 04, 2010
- Central Railway suspends 20 Mumbai motormen, ESMA may be invoked - May 04, 2010
Tags: alternate arrangements, better security, churchgate, commuters, crowds, flash strike, local train, public address system, railway line, railway management, railway official, railway officials, railway station, railway stations, sick leave, south mumbai, suburban railway, suburban services, train services, western railway