Mumbai gets its first air-conditioned bus standFebruary 20th, 2011 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 20 (IANS) Maharashtra’s first fully air-conditioned bus stand, resembling an airport lounge, was Sunday inaugurated in the Dadar east area here by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.Chavan, who also holds the transport portfolio, complimented the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) for the project and said that depending on passenger volumes, all bus stands in the state would categorised as A, B, or C groups, and related passenger amenities and facilities will be developed in all the state transport bus stands.
Constructed at a cost of Rs.5 million, the new stand will cater to over 14,000 passengers per day, travelling by 160 air-conditioned and 72 semi-luxury services from here, said MSRTC chairman Sudhakar Paricharak.
The stand has four air-conditioned waiting rooms which can accommodate 100 passengers at a time, with LCD monitors displaying bus timings, arrivals and departures of the buses and 20 CCTV cameras for security.
Comfortable seating, drinking water, rest rooms, newspapers and other facilities have also been provided.
Besides, the bus stand also boasts of an air-conditioned rest room for the drivers, making MSRTC the first state transport undertaking in the country to provide such a facility.
There are separate booking counters for air-conditioned and semi-luxury bus services, computerised booking for the entire state, enquiry and control rooms.
The new bus stand is a far cry from the earlier temporary shed constructed on a pavement on the busy Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Road in 1982 when the Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai services were introduced.
- Pune road mayhem-waiting to happen? - Jan 25, 2012
- Mumbai to get more air-conditioned buses - Jun 01, 2012
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Bus services on Maharashtra-Karnataka border to remain suspended - Jul 15, 2010
- Maharashtra stops plying buses to Karnataka over demand for Belgaum - Jul 13, 2010
- Srinagar gets radio taxi service - Aug 01, 2012
- Man steals bus to lure estranged wife, kids back! - May 26, 2012
- Luring day-trippers - Delhi's HOHO buses change gear (Feature) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- AC train travel exempted from service tax - Jul 03, 2012
- Ambulance rams into bus, four killed - Feb 02, 2012
- Bhubaneswar to get world-class bus terminus - Apr 02, 2011
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Zipping through flyovers, Metro: Delhi reaps CWG legacy (Year after CWG) - Sep 30, 2011
- Mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus, kills 5 - Jan 25, 2012
- Four killed as ambulance crashes into bus (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: ambedkar road, arrivals and departures, bus timings, c groups, cctv cameras, dadar, dr babasaheb ambedkar, lcd monitors, luxury bus, luxury services, maharashtra state road transport corporation, msrtc, passenger amenities, passenger volumes, rest room, rest rooms, sudhakar, transport bus, transport portfolio, waiting rooms