Mumbai court extends judicial custody of Malegaon blast suspects to December 3November 25th, 2008 - 3:40 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Nov 25 (ANI): A special court in Mumbai on Monday extended the judicial custody of Malegaon blast suspects to December 3.
Police have arrested at least 10 people, including Lt. Colonel Srikant Prasad Purohit, a serving army officer, Dayanand Pandey, a Hindu monk and God-woman Pragya Singh over alleged involvement in the blast in Malegaon.
The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) of Maharashtra, which is investigating the case, last week invoked the tough anti-gangster Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against the suspects.
Police argued for fresh custody of the accused but the court turned down their plea.
Shrikant Shivade, counsel of the accused said they were being “tortured” and forced into confession.
“Police appealed for custody of the accused under MCOCA, which was rejected. The judge said that the reasons stated by the police after invoking MCOCA were not appropriate to grant them custody of the accused. All the accused lamented before the court their ordeal of torture. Court has recorded their statements. We told them that police wanted their custody to torture them for confession and they have invoked MCOCA simply to seek custody of the accused, which is wrong. Thus police custody request has been rejected,” Shivade added.
Five people were killed in the blasts that hit the Muslim-dominated town on September 29. (ANI)
- Malegaon blast suspects to be produced before Mumbai court today - Dec 03, 2008
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Purohit's custodial interrogation put off - Mar 21, 2012
- Malegaon blast case: Supreme Court to hear Sadhvi Pragya 's appeal - Oct 04, 2010
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Malegaon blast accused not part of RSS: Ram Madhav - Feb 11, 2011
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Army officer denied bail by apex court (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Malegaon blast case: Bombay HC brings backs MCOCA charge against Sadhvi Pragya - Jul 19, 2010
- Army officer refused bail in Malegaon blast case - Nov 10, 2011
- Ajmer blast case: CBI arrests 'mastermind' Swami Asimanand in Haridwar - Nov 19, 2010
- Ajmer blast case: Swami Asimanand sent to judicial custody till Nov. 30 - Nov 20, 2010
- Maharashtra questioned on Pragya Singh's bail plea - Aug 30, 2010
- Government objects in court to RSS chief's Malegaon remarks - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: army officer, ats, blasts, confession, crime act, gangster, god woman, hindu monk, judicial custody, lt colonel, maharashtra, muslim, ordeal, plea, police custody, pragya, prasad, september 29, srikant, torture