Mumbai airport’s main runway not yet functionalSeptember 4th, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 4 (IANS) Mumbai airport’s main runway is yet to reopen as the authorities Sunday continued the massive effort of retrieving a Turkish Airlines aircraft that skidded off Friday, officials said.
The officials added that no timeline can be given as to when the aircraft will be retrieved off the main runway of the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) as heavy rains made recovery operations difficult.
“The aircraft recovery is under progress. A safe timeline will be informed to all. Most flights are running on time and no flight diversions have happened since morning. However, a Singapore Airlines flight has been cancelled,” an official of the Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL) said.
The aircraft skidded off the runway and got stuck in the soft mud Friday following heavy rains. All 104 passengers, including 11 crew members, were safely evacuated.
“MIAL has deployed all resources and completed construction of the pavement to remove the aircraft from the site. The next steps are subject to an assessment of suitability of ground and weather conditions,” the official added.
Normal operations at CSIA were severely hampered Sunday morning.
Earlier Sunday, airport officials said the main runway would be functional by 12 noon. But strong winds and heavy rain hampered the recovery operations.
According to an airport official, there were about 45 and 55 minutes of delay in the arrival and departure of flights respectively.
All normal flight operations have been shifted to the secondary runway.
Turkish Airlines had attributed the incident to “excessive rainfall”.
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Herculean efforts on at Mumbai to move stuck aircraft - Sep 03, 2011
- Spicejet flight makes emergency landing - Sep 03, 2011
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till May - Jan 20, 2012
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Jet Airways flight aborts take-off - Feb 08, 2012
- Kingfisher aircraft skids while landing, no casualties - Nov 10, 2009
- Sukhoi skids at Pune airport, flights hit - Apr 19, 2012
- DGCA issues fresh directions to airlines - Nov 11, 2009
Tags: aircraft recovery, airport officials, arrival and departure, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, csia, excessive rainfall, flight operations, heavy rain, heavy rains, international airport ltd, massive effort, mial, mumbai airport, recovery operations, secondary runway, singapore airlines, singapore airlines flight, soft mud, turkish airlines, weather conditions