Mukherjee confirms deferment of Sarabjit’s execution till April 30March 19th, 2008 - 5:38 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar.19 (ANI): External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday confirmed that Pakistan death row inmate Sarabjit Singh’s execution has been deferred by a month, with the new date of execution set at April 30 this year.
“Government of India is continuing its efforts to save the life of Sarabjit Singh. We have achieved partial success and we will continue to carry on our efforts,” Mukherjee told the House.
Earlier on Wednesday, Pakistani human rights activist Asma Jahangir said that people at the ‘high levels’ are working hard to secure a reprieve for Sarabjit Singh.
Singh has been on death row since Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected his petition for mercy in March 2006. He has been accused of having played a major role in serial blasts across Pakistan, which claimed at least 14 lives in 1991.
He has been languishing in a Pakistani jail for 17 years.
Pakistan has admitted to receiving India’s request for clemency for Sarabjit Singh.
On Tuesday, India’s External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee reiterated the Prime Minister’s assurance on the man Pakistan calls a spy.
Sarabjit was to be earlier hanged on April 1. (ANI)
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Pranab son's request to father: get Sarabjit freed - Jul 22, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- 26/11 ghosts cast shadow on India-Pakistan talks - Jul 02, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: 17 years, april 1, clemency, death row inmate, execution, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, government of india, human rights, new date, New Delhi, pakistan, partial success, petition, pranab mukherjee, prime minister, reprieve, sarabjit singh, serial blasts, supreme court