Mughal road to be ready by September 2011November 27th, 2010 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 27 (IANS) The Mughal road that connects Kashmir Valley to the hilly and border belt of Jammu region will be ready by September 2011.
The road was scheduled to open in June this year but the unrest in Kashmir made the migrant labourers flee the area. Also, a prolonged spell of rains triggered landslides which further delayed its completion in time.
Now, the 80 km stretch of the road that has historical connotations because the route was used by Mughal emperors has been made double-laned from Bafliaz on Jammu side and Shopian on the valley side, according to sources here.
The project cost Rs.639.85 crore.
“This historic inter-regional road link would not only reduce travel distance but also serve as dependable alternative to Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, which remains closed due to heavy rains or snow during winters,” Minister of State for Public Works Javed Dar told reporters here Saturday.
“The road would integrate the local economy of Poonch, Rajouri and Shopian districts, opening new trade avenues for the people of these areas,” he said.
- Kashmir's Mughal motor rally to have bikes too - Apr 15, 2012
- Valley turmoil, landslides take toll on Mughal Road - Oct 12, 2010
- 'King of racers' aims to conquer Mughal rally - Jun 23, 2011
- Old Mughal Road to Kashmir to open in June - Mar 22, 2010
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway - Aug 04, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Mughal Road's opening makes Kashmir more accessible - Nov 20, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir CM drives on the historic Mughal road - Nov 27, 2009
- Heavy rains, snow force shutdown of JK highway for third day - Mar 03, 2011
- Army organizes cycle expedition in Srinagar - Nov 21, 2010
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Omar Abdullah drives along new Kashmir road link - Nov 27, 2009
- 30 militants in Jammu's border districts: Army - Mar 22, 2012
- IAF rescues marooned civilians in Jammu - Aug 05, 2012
- Remote Kashmir roads to target militancy, provide jobs - Apr 11, 2010