MTNL expands 3G footprint in Delhi, goes pre-paidJune 2nd, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) Mahanagar Telecom Nigam Ltd (MTNL) Tuesday launched its third-generation (3G) telephony services in the national capital and Gurgaon as part of its second phase of expansion in this area.
The state-run company also extended the 3G services to the pre-paid subscriber segment. Areas covered in the capital include the central district, south and the eastern parts.
The services under the brand name “Jadoo”, first launched in February, were initially available only in Delhi’s NDMC areas and that too as a post-paid, monthly-billing service.
The services will be extended to Dwarka, Karol Bagh, North-Delhi West and other areas in the next phase, an MTNL statement said.
The move to extend support to pre-paid customers comes after the initial rollout with an investment of Rs.300-400 crore (Rs.3-4 billion) failed to achieve the targeted subscription in the past four months.
“MTNL is launching 3G Jadoo pre-paid Services for the customers with the objective that the customer should be able to avail of latest 3G/3.5G services at an affordable price. Since pre-paid is the preferred mode by the customers, this will meet the customer requirement,” MTNL chairman and managing director R.S.P. Sinha said in a statement.
The company, which currently has the capability to cater to about 150,000 subscribers, last month launched Jadoo in Mumbai, the only other market besides the national capital for the state-run utility.
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Reliance triples data download limit for 3G subscribers in festival offer - Sep 09, 2011
- Airtel slashes 3G data tariff by 70 percent - May 17, 2012
- No hike in tariff: MTNL - Aug 03, 2011
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Few takers for post-paid connection in Pakistan - Aug 24, 2012
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- TRAI asks operators to offer per second-billing plan (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2012
- Ban on some SMS services lifted in Kashmir - Dec 22, 2010
- Pre-paid Airtel customers to get detailed bills now - Feb 13, 2012
- BSNL unveils prepaid broadband service in Bangalore - Oct 23, 2009
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 23, 2011
- Vodafone hikes call tariff for post-paid customers in Mumbai by 20 percent - May 01, 2012
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 3g services, billing service, customer requirement, footprint, four months, gurgaon, initial rollout, karol bagh, mahanagar, managing director, ndmc, New Delhi, nigam ltd, north delhi, pre paid services, preferred mode, second phase, sinha, telephony services, third generation