MRF lifts lockout in Arakonam, strike enters 19th dayMay 27th, 2009 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 27 (IANS) Tyre major MRF lifted the lockout at its Arakonam plant Wednesday, but the unit’s striking workers and their family members, including children, camping outside the labour commissioner’s office here were arrested.
The protesters were camping outside the labour commissioner’s office for the past two days demanding an early solution to the impasse over a contentious wage settlement agreement signed with a rival labour union.
Along with them, workers at MRF’s Puducherry plant too are on strike since May 9.
Production at the two units has come to a standstill for the past 18 days, with the management declaring a lockout at Arakonam May 17.
“Even the Puducherry government seems to be oblivious to our plight. Around 1,400 workers are on strike for the past 19 days,” said S. Sathyanarayanan, general secretary of the striking United Workers Union at the Puducherry unit over phone.
The union said talks with the Vellore administration Monday failed after the district collector said the government could not intervene as the matter is in court.
In a statement Wednesday, MRF said the settlement reached with the Worker Welfare Union envisages increase in allowances with each worker receiving an ad hoc payment of Rs.15,000 as agreement benefit.
The company said the retirement age has been raised from 55 to 58.
- Workers, family members arrested as MRF strike enters 15th day - May 23, 2009
- MRF strike enters 14th day, workers and family camp in Chennai - May 22, 2009
- Striking MRF workers plan to return ration, voter cards - May 20, 2009
- Labour unrest at MRF again, Arakonam plant locked out - May 18, 2009
- Allow staff, materials movement, court tells MRF strikers (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Striking MRF workers arrested in Tamil Nadu (Second Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Supreme Court dismisses MRF workers' petition - Jun 08, 2009
- Sit-in strike at MRF plants enters 11th day - May 19, 2009
- Regency Ceramics declares lockout at Yanam unit - Feb 01, 2012
- Tyre maker MRF declares lockout at Puducherry plant - Feb 23, 2009
- Hyundai workers gear up for negotiated settlement - Jan 28, 2012
- Rebel Maruti union leaders resign, get hefty dues - Nov 05, 2011
- Agitating workers asked to vacate Maruti premises - Oct 13, 2011
- Strike at Nokia Siemens Networks India - Apr 09, 2012
- Hyundai Motor India workers call off strike - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: benefit, family members, general secretary, impasse, labour commissioner, labour union, plight, protesters, puducherry, retirement age, settlement agreement, standstill, striking workers, tyre, vellore, wage settlement, welfare, workers union