Move to ’save’ Amristar international airport from closureNovember 11th, 2008 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) Former cricketer and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) parliamentarian Navjot Singh Sidhu Tuesday met Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel to voice his concern over the deteriorating state of the Raja Sansi International Airport at Amritsar from where some major airlines have withdrawn flights.Sidhu said with airlines withdrawing international flights, the airport faced closure. In this connection, he urged Patel to release funds to acquire 40 acres of land for the airport’s expansion.
Indian and foreign carriers have withdrawn some of their international services from Amritsar over the past few months following the economic downturn and mounting losses.
Sidhu also urged the minister to rationalise landing, parking and navigation charges at Amritsar airport, which according to him was too high. He demanded the charges be halved.
Raja Sansi is one of the 35 non-metro airports being upgraded. The government has sanctioned Rs.90 billion for the modernisation of these airports.
- Amritsar Airport may lose international passengers - Aug 06, 2010
- Jet Airways makes unscheduled landing, but child dies - Aug 29, 2012
- Punjab MPs demand restoration of direct flights between Amritsar, Canada - Nov 30, 2010
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Six international airlines keen to fly from Kolkata - Dec 26, 2011
- 'Flights from Belgaum airport will resume soon' - Nov 14, 2009
- In foggy days, Chandigarh's fog-landing system lies defunct - Jan 18, 2010
- Qatar Airways to start Doha-Amritsar flights - Jun 11, 2009
- After a high, Amritsar airport falls on bad days - Nov 14, 2008
- Mumbai airport gets tough with Kingfisher over pending dues - Dec 02, 2011
- 'Civil aviation sector up 18.5 percent in seven years' - Mar 15, 2012
- Mumbai airport reopened after five-hour closure for repairs - Apr 23, 2011
- Punjab seeks help to save Amritsar airport from closure - Nov 07, 2008
- British Airways to revisit India play after airport charges hike - Aug 29, 2012
- Dense fog hits hard Delhi, north India (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2010