Move over .com and get ready for .sex, .hotel or .sportsJune 27th, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 27 (ANI): Come 2009, and almost any word will be able to replace “.com” in a Web page address thanks to a decision made by the organization that manages the technical underpinnings of the Web, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, (ICANN).
ICANN unanimously approved the new guidelines as weeklong meetings in Paris concluded.
Top-level domain names, or TLDs, refer to Internet name suffixes, such as the ubiquitous .com, .net and .org, among others. Currently, there are more than 200 TLDs, which also include the two-character country codes used by websites, such as Britain’s .uk.
Under the new plans, a domain name, the suffix at the end of a website address, can now be based on any string of letters.
This will allow individuals to register a domain based on their own name, for example, as long as they can show a “business plan and technical capacity”.
The result could be the creation of thousands or even millions of new addresses.
ICANN also voted collectively to open public comment on a separate proposal to permit addresses entirely in non-English languages for the first time.
“We are opening up a new world and I think this cannot be underestimated,” BBC quoted Roberto Gaetano, a member of ICANN, as saying.
Dr Paul Twomey, chief executive of ICANN, described passing the resolution as a “historic moment”.
ICANN officials said some technical issues for the new system must still be worked out, but it could be reviewing the first applications for new TLDs as early as 2009. (ANI)
- Internet to be thrown open to new names - Jun 20, 2011
- Now brands, communities can soon have their own internet address - Oct 14, 2011
- Pornography websites with '.xxx' addresses open for business - Apr 19, 2011
- .xxx adult web addresses now online - Apr 19, 2011
- ICANN Approves New Domain For Porn Sites - Jun 28, 2010
- US Govt.mum as porn industry nears approval for web site - Mar 18, 2011
- Internet bosses approve .xxx Internet address for porn websites - Jun 25, 2010
- Hindus against "dot god" Internet domain - Mar 17, 2009
- Web addresses become multilingual - Oct 30, 2009
- Porn Sites Can Use .XXX As Domain Names - Jun 28, 2010
- Forget .coms, your name alone can be an internet address - Aug 14, 2011
- ICANN gives its final approval to sex domain .xxx - Mar 19, 2011
- Internet now single biggest source of global information - Dec 02, 2010
- Sex industry fears ".xxx" domain would create porn 'ghetto' - Mar 11, 2010
- Obama administration disappointed with ICANN's approval of .xxx domain - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: address thanks, character country, dr paul, english languages, icann, internet corporation for assigned names, internet corporation for assigned names and numbers, internet name, level domain names, name suffixes, new addresses, public comment, sex hotel, sports london, suffix, technical underpinnings, tlds, top level domain, web page address, website address