Motorola commissions Sriperumbudur plantApril 28th, 2008 - 12:16 am ICT by admin
Chennai, April 27 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi inaugurated the Rs.1.72 billion ($43 million) mobile phone plant of the US-based Motorola at Sriperumbudur near Chennai Sunday. Congratulating the $36 billion Motorola for selecting Tamil Nadu for its unit, he said: “With this plant, Chennai has become a global hub for electronics and telecom manufacturing.”
Global mobile phone leader Nokia of Finland also has a plant at Sriperumbudur.
Motorola will make 12 million mobile phones and networking equipment such as base stations (6,500 units a year) and systems controllers at its 270,000 square feet facility.
A pioneer in Six Sigma quality initiatives, Motorola is trying to gain a considerable market share in India which is dominated by Nokia, LG and Samsung.
In 2007 the company posted a loss of $49 million.
The parent company has decided to split the firm into two companies - one to run the mobile phone business and the other to operate in the field of networking equipment and solutions.
- Samsung urged to invest in photo-voltaic cell facility in Tamil Nadu - Nov 27, 2010
- Samsung to make India production hub for consumer electronics - Nov 26, 2010
- 'Nokia regaining lost ground in handset market' - Jun 07, 2012
- Nokia Siemens buys Motorola unit for $1.2 billion - Jul 19, 2010
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- Apple ousts Nokia as world's largest smartphone vendor - Jul 30, 2011
- BlackBerry stock slips on India report - Feb 01, 2011
- Samsung triples India handset output; invests $70 mn - Sep 15, 2011
- BlackBerry knocked out of Top-5 sellers by China' ZTE - Jan 29, 2011
- Foxconn India plant shut down following toxic gas leak - Jul 25, 2010
- Nokia Siemens networks in 1.2-bn deal for Motorola - Jul 19, 2010
- Microsoft launches Windows Phone 7 range - Oct 12, 2010
- Late entrants, Taiwanese ICT firms take on biggies - Jun 12, 2011
- Nokia to close facilities, cut up to 10,000 jobs worldwide - Jun 15, 2012
- Is Microsoft buying Nokia? (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: chief minister, commissions, finland, global hub, India, market share, mobile phone business, mobile phones, motorola, networking equipment, nokia, parent company, pioneer, quality initiatives, rs 1, samsung, sigma quality, six sigma, square feet facility, telecom