Most states not meeting clean energy targets: RegulatorAugust 11th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) While all states have to draw at least five percent of their electricity needs from clean energy sources, only a few are doing so, India’s power regulator said Tuesday.
“According to the national target of renewed purchase obligation (RPO), states need to purchase five percent of their power needs from renewable sources but many are not doing it,” said Pramod Deo, chairman of the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC).
“We need to see how we deal with this issue. Currently only a few states like Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh are meeting or exceeding the set targets,” Deo told reporters on the sidelines of an international conference on renewable energy here.
The regulator has also said new tariff regulations for electricity generated from renewable sources will be out soon, providing further incentive to private power generators.
“We are looking at various measures to increase generation and consumption of renewable energy. Preferential tarrifs and purchase obligations are some of them,” Deo said.
- Efforts to boost renewable energy to be stepped up - Nov 18, 2010
- Renewable energy supply can meet the 2015 target - Jul 14, 2010
- Competitive tariff bidding for thermal projects from 2011 - Nov 28, 2010
- India urgently needs power tariff increase, says ex-secretary - Aug 30, 2012
- Electricity regulator to set up renewable energy exchange - Mar 20, 2009
- Tamil Nadu to add 18,140 MW in five years - Nov 28, 2010
- India to be third largest investment destination for renewables this year: KPMG - Jun 08, 2011
- 'With power losses of $40 bn, India needs periodic tariff hikes' (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Pakistan seeks India's expertise in renewable energy - Aug 28, 2012
- 'More private participation needed in power distribution' - Apr 24, 2012
- Tamil Nadu electricity board pulled up for grid overdrawal - Nov 25, 2008
- India aims to instal 20 million solar light bulbs - Jan 11, 2010
- India enhancing domestic capacity for new gen power plants: Shinde - Apr 22, 2012
- Wind to account for 15 percent of Mexico's electricity mix - Feb 16, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, central electricity regulatory commission, clean energy, consumption, electricity regulatory commission, energy sources, measures, national target, New Delhi, power generators, power regulator, private power, purchase obligation, renewable energy, renewable sources, rpo, sidelines, targets, tariff regulations, tarrifs