Mortal remains of Surjeet consigned to flames (Update)August 3rd, 2008 - 9:52 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , August 3 (ANI): The mortal remains of veteran Marxist leader Harkishan Singh Surjeet were consigned to flames this evening at Nigambodh Ghat in New Delhi .
His pyre was lit by his elder son Paramjeet Singh.
A number of leaders were present on the occasion. They include Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil, former Prime Minister H. D. Deve Gowda, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) Chief Chandrababu Naidu, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Chief Mayawati and a host of Left leaders.
The procession started from the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) headquarters in Delhi and culminated at Nigambodh Ghat.
Earlier, Surjeet’’s body was brought to his Teen Murti lane residence this morning from AIIMS and was later taken to the party headquarters where a large number of people and politicians had a last glimpse of their leader.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, host of Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, former Chief Ministers and Governors and social activists irrespective of their political affiliations, came to pay their last respects to the Communist leader.
Lauding his contribution to coalition politics and his commitment to secularism they said his contribution to the nation will always be remembered.
Surjeet died on Friday at the age of 92 following prolonged illness.
He was admitted at the Metro Hospital in Noida where he was treated for respiratory problems. Earlier, he had slipped into coma.
The veteran CPI (M) leader was suffering from cardiac-respiratory problems.
With his health declining, Surjeet was, for the first time, not included in the CPI (M) Polit Bureau at the party’’s 19th congress in early April 2008. He was instead designated as Special Invitee to the Central Committee.
He was the General Secretary of the CPI (M) from 1992 to 2005 and was a member of the party’’s Polit Bureau from 1964 to 2008.
After retiring from his post as General Secretary, Surjeet continued to play an active role in politics. (ANI)
- Harkishan Singh Surjeet''s funeral to take place today - Aug 03, 2008
- Pranab Mukherjee mourns Surjeet''s demise - Aug 01, 2008
- Marxist veteran Surjeet's funeral Sunday - Aug 03, 2008
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- Thousands pay tribute to Harkishan Singh Surjeet - Aug 03, 2008
- Shivraj Patil condoles death of Harkishan Singh Surjeet - Aug 01, 2008
- Communist patriarch Jyoti Basu dies at 95 (Third Lead) - Jan 17, 2010
- Demand for Basu's autobiography shoots up - Jan 20, 2010
- An iconic Communist figure of Tripura dies - Jun 07, 2011
- CPI-M not involved in former leader's murder: Achuthanandan - May 07, 2012
- Government bodies flayed for discrimination at crematorium - Jun 25, 2010
- Ailing CPI-M leader Surjeet emerges out of coma - May 22, 2008
- Tripura announces holiday to mourn Left leader - Jun 07, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
Tags: aiims, chandrababu naidu, chief ministers, coalition politics, communist leader, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president sonia gandhi, deve gowda, former prime minister, ghat, last respects, Mayawati, mortal remains, polit bureau, political affiliations, social activists, telugu desam party, union home minister, union ministers