‘More private participation needed in power distribution’April 24th, 2012 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 23 (IANS) Pitching for more private sector participation in power distribution, the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) has said it would help improve efficiency and bring down aggregate technical and commercial (AT&C;) losses.
“In distribution, the private sector’s contribution is only 13 percent. Losses suffered by distribution companies are huge. So more private sector participation is needed,” CERC chairperson Pramod Rao told mediapersons here.
Rao said while Mumbai has Tata and Reliance as private players in distribution, Kolkata has CESC.
He said in Delhi, Mumbai and Surat, the losses have been substantially cut down due to the presence of private players.
“In Delhi, AT&C; losses are now 15 percent from 52 percent earlier. In Mumbai, it is 11 per cent and Surat it is less than 5 per cent.”
He said that private participation in the power sector has more than doubled to 23 percent from 11 percent. It is expected to become 50 percent after a host of power plants start operation by 2017.
Describing the fuel supply agreement (FSA) introduced by Coal India Ltd (CIL) as a “mockery of normative supply norms”, Deo said coal would continue to be in short supply.
- Coal may have to be imported to meet power demand - Aug 12, 2012
- Coal India ready to sign modified FSA with power firms - Sep 18, 2012
- Coal India board okays new fuel supply agreement model - Sep 01, 2012
- Coal India approves 80 percent trigger point for supplies - Jul 31, 2012
- Coal India coal import plans face opposition - Sep 14, 2012
- Coal India to ink fuel supply pact before April 20 (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Coal India approves supply penalty clause - Aug 07, 2012
- No final decision on fuel supply agreement: Coal India - Aug 14, 2012
- Coal India to ink fuel supply pact April 20 - Apr 16, 2012
- India urgently needs power tariff increase, says ex-secretary - Aug 30, 2012
- GOM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- 'With power losses of $40 bn, India needs periodic tariff hikes' (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Calcutta power utility earns Rs.4,000 crore in FY11 - Apr 29, 2011
- GoM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- 30 coal blocks start production out of 195 allocated - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: central electricity regulatory commission, cerc, chairperson, cil, coal india ltd, distribution companies, electricity regulatory commission, fuel supply, mockery, norms, power distribution, power plants, power sector, pramod, private participation, private players, private sector participation, rao, reliance, tata