More Johannesburg-Mumbai flightsJune 14th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) South African Airways Thursday said it will increase its flight frequency between Johannesburg-Mumbai to five services a week effective June 16 from the current four operations.
“India presents an important market to South African Airways, and this increase in flight frequency is a step in the right direction to meet market expectations,” said Sajid Khan, country manager India, South African Airways.
“Recent economic developments are likely to have a positive impact on the business relationships between India and South Africa, and we foresee a growth in traffic between the two countries,” Khan said.
Interestingly, the airline’s move comes at a time when Indian airline major Jet Airways has suspended operations on the Mumbai-Johannesburg route from June 12.
According to the airline, the services will be operated on Airbus A330-200 aircraft which will offer 186 economy and 36 business class seats.
The airline also plans to add another flight service between Johannesburg-Mumbai from Aug 21, 2012. The services is subject to government approval.
The airline is also banking upon increase in tourism travel between the two countries. In 2011, South Africa saw a 26.2 percent increase in Indian visitors which numbered at 90,367 visitors.
The airline is also eyeing providing the fastest air route between India and South America. The airline said the flying time of its flights on the Mumbai-Johannesburg-Buenos Aires route will be around 22 hours and 35 minutes.
- South African Airways is sole carrier on Mumbai-Johannesburg route - Jun 14, 2012
- Jet Airways to suspend Mumbai-Johannesburg operations - May 07, 2012
- Jet launches Mumbai-Johannesburg daily non-stop flights - Apr 14, 2010
- Etihad unveils special A330-200 Manchester City livery - Jul 09, 2011
- South African Tourism woos India's high income segment - Jun 20, 2012
- Africa next target for Jet Airways with service to Johannesburg - Feb 16, 2010
- South Africa: Adventure destination for Indians - Jul 07, 2012
- Etihad to run daily Brisbane-Abu Dhabi flights - Aug 16, 2012
- Kenya Airways launches Nairobi-Delhi flight - May 16, 2012
- Air India to cut loss-making routes (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian tourists to South Africa could cross 1 lakh this year - Sep 07, 2012
- Jet Airways to suspend Brussels-New York flight - Jun 15, 2012
- Emirates launches flights to Vietnam - Jan 05, 2012
- Air India increases number of Delhi-Goa flights - Dec 02, 2011
- Jet Airways to increase Gulf flights from October - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: airbus a330 200, buenos aires, business class seats, business relationships, economic developments, flight service, flying time, government approval, india south, indian airline, indian visitors, jet airways, johannesburg, market expectations, mumbai, New Delhi, sajid khan, south african airways, step in the right direction, tourism travel