More foreign travellers opting for visa on arrivalAugust 13th, 2012 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) A total of 941 visas were issued under the Visa on Arrival (VoA) scheme in July 2012 as compared to 820 visas in July last year, marking a growth of 14.8 percent, the tourism ministry said Monday.
“During January-July 2012, a total of 7,662 VoAs were issued as against 6,594 during the corresponding period in 2011, a growth of 16.2 percent,” said a stament by the ministry.
The maximum number of VoAs in these seven months were issued to Japanese citizens (1,872) followed by those from New Zealand (1,588) and Indonesia (1,259).
The maximum number of VoAs were issued at Delhi airport (4,430), followed by Mumbai (1,689) and Chennai (1,091).
The VoA scheme was started in January 2010 in an effort to attract more foreign tourists to India. Initially, the scheme was only for citizens of five countries - Finland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand and Singapore.
Six more countries - Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos and Myanmar - were added a year later in January 2011.
- More than 800 visas on arrival issued in July - Aug 12, 2011
- Rise in Visa on Arrivals in June 2012 - Jul 11, 2012
- India issued 770 visas on arrival to foreigners in June - Jul 13, 2011
- India posts 25 percent increase in visas on arrival - Sep 11, 2012
- Over 9,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2011
- Decline in Visas on Arrival in May - Jun 07, 2012
- Over 5,000 tourists from five countries avail visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2010
- Over 4,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - May 10, 2011
- 5,644 on-arrival visas issued till November - Dec 09, 2010
- 3151 tourist visas issued under 'Visa on Arrival' scheme - Jul 18, 2010
- 3,516 avail visa on arrival facility till July - Aug 09, 2010
- 4,493 visas on arrival issued till September - Oct 11, 2010
- Over 12,000 visitors get Indian visa on arrival - Jan 31, 2012
- 34 percent jump in visas on arrival Jan-March - Apr 10, 2012
- India issues over 5,000 visas on arrival till May - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: cambodia, chennai, delhi airport, indonesia, japanese citizens, laos, maximum number, myanmar, New Delhi, philippines, seven months, singapore, tourism ministry, tourists, travellers, vietnam, visa on arrival, visas, voa, voas