More efforts needed to make India slum-free: SeljaMay 9th, 2012 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) Minister for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja Wednesday said more efforts were needed to make India slum-free.
Replying to questions in the Rajya Sabha, the minister said the burden of urban centres was increasing and the position of urban poor was worsening in terms of its impact on cities.
“Constant efforts at ground level are needed to make India slum-free. We are allocating the money but more dedication is needed at the ground level to use the money,” she said.
Selja informed the upper house that the urban population, which is at 32 crore according to Census 2011, is likely to increase to 40 percent of the total population by 2030.
“We must gear up against the problems faced by the urban poor, for that we have extended the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM),” Selja added.
- Plan to provide cheap houses to urban poor - Sep 28, 2011
- 134 urban development schemes cleared for northeast - Sep 18, 2011
- India plans better housing facilities for urban poor - Jul 30, 2011
- India's urban poor worse off than rural poor: Poverty Allevation Minister (Interview) - Sep 13, 2010
- PM mulls Rs.1,000 crore corpus for housing poor - Dec 13, 2011
- Property rights to be given to urban poor under 'Rajiv Awas Yojana' - Oct 28, 2010
- '25 percent urban population of India is poor' - Aug 03, 2011
- Half infrastructure development cost to come from private sector: Kumari Selja - Sep 13, 2012
- New bill to improve condition of slum dwellers: Selja - Nov 22, 2011
- India's slum population to be over 93 million in 2011 - Sep 03, 2010
- Only an inclusive city can be a sustainable city: Kumari Selja - Oct 05, 2009
- Cabinet approves slum development in 250 cities (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Housing is central to economic growth: Task Force report - Dec 11, 2009
- India cannot be made slum-free in five years: officials - Aug 02, 2010
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Selja (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: census, crore, dedication, India, jawaharlal nehru, money, national urban, New Delhi, poverty alleviation, rajya sabha, slum, total population, upper house, urban centres, urban poor, urban population, urban poverty, urban renewal