Moody’s cuts Hungary’s rating with negative outlookNovember 25th, 2011 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Nov 25 (IANS) Moody’s Investors Service Thursday downgraded Hungary’s government bond rating by one notch to Ba1 from Baa3, and is maintaining a negative outlook.
Moody’s said in its statement that the first driver of Thursday’s downgrade was the uncertainty surrounding the Hungarian government’s ability to meet its targets on fiscal consolidation and public sector debt reduction over the medium term, in view of higher funding costs and the low-growth environment.
Moody’s said that Hungary was vulnerable to external shocks stemming from the government debt structure, which could in turn expose the government to funding cost pressures, reported Xinhua.
“Moody’s believes that the combined impact of these factors will adversely impact the government’s financial strength and erode its shock-absorption capacity,” said the agency.
“The decision to maintain a negative outlook on Hungary’s ratings is driven by the uncertainty surrounding the country’s ability to withstand potential event risks emanating from the European sovereign debt crisis,” Moody’s said.
Moody’s also warned that it would consider a further downgrade of Hungary’s government debt rating if there is a significant decline in government financial strength due to a lack of progress on structural reforms and implementation of the medium-term plan.
- Moody's retains stable outlook on India - Jun 25, 2012
- Moody's may downgrade India's three top private lenders - Apr 30, 2012
- S&P; downgrades Hungary credit rating to junk - Dec 22, 2011
- Moody's raises India's local currency debt rating - Dec 21, 2011
- What do ratings, outlook downgrades mean? - Apr 25, 2012
- Moody's downgrades 13 Italian banks - Jul 17, 2012
- Moody's downgrades LIC, outlook stable - May 14, 2012
- Fitch slashes British debt outlook (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- US avoids default; retains AAA rating for now - Aug 03, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Italy debt rating - Jul 13, 2012
- Moody's to now review India's sovereign ratings - Nov 12, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Eurozone bailout fund credit outlook - Jul 25, 2012
- Moody's cuts Cyprus' credit rating - Nov 05, 2011
- Moody's postpones decision on Italy's downgrade for a month - Sep 17, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Spain's debt rating - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: bond rating, debt crisis, debt reduction, debt structure, external shocks, financial strength, fiscal consolidation, government bond, government debt, growth environment, hungarian government, investors service, medium term plan, negative outlook, notch, public sector, shock absorption, sovereign debt, uncertainty, xinhua