Montek hits back at Patel on airport reviewMay 15th, 2008 - 12:15 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Hitting back at Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia Wednesday defended his review of facilities at the Delhi airport and said reviewing any project was well within the jurisdiction of the plan panel. Ahluwalia Monday reviewed the progress of the expansion and modernisation of the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport here with its developer, GMR-led Delhi International Airport Limited, DIAL. However, Patel had objected to the exercise.
“The review was routine. It is important for the Planning Commission to know the progress of the project,” Ahluwalia said.
Reacting to Patel’s charge that it was the plan panel that was delaying modernisation of various airports, he said: “It is a wrong notion that the Planning Commission is holding back the airport projects. Any project goes through a set of procedures and then is sent for the approval of the cabinet.”
Regarding his meeting with DIAL officials, he said: “We found deficiency in services at the IGI airport here.” He added that there were always different points of view of the different ministries on how a public sector project is carried on.
He said problems at the Delhi airport, especially concerning security clearances, were not in the jurisdiction of airport management and that the commission would take up the issue with the department concerned.
- Development fee at Delhi, Mumbai airports under review: Ravi - Mar 09, 2011
- Congress rejects BJP demand for PM's resignation - Aug 17, 2012
- Prime Minister reviews food security amid rain concerns - Jul 18, 2012
- Planning Commission to aid ministry for new airports - May 29, 2012
- Hyderabad airport handled 8.6 million passengers last year - Apr 12, 2012
- No action or comment on leaked report: Ajit Singh - May 23, 2012
- DIAL to again charge development fee at IGI airport - Nov 16, 2011
- Delhi airport to have more CISF men, immigration counters - Jun 04, 2008
- Ahluwalia defends Manmohan Singh's role in 2G case - Aug 07, 2011
- Montek bats for FDI in agriculture - Feb 04, 2011
- Montek to brief PM on Delhi airport expansion - May 20, 2008
- Delhi airport got Rs.1,199 crore in development fee - Feb 24, 2011
- Court stays fine imposed on Delhi airport operator - May 30, 2011
- Bring GST, manage resources better in 12th plan: Ahluwalia to states - Oct 22, 2011
- Delhi airport recognised for carbon emission cut - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: airport management, airports, civil aviation, delhi airport, delhi international, deputy chairman, different ministries, exercise, gmr, indira gandhi, jurisdiction, modernisation, montek singh ahluwalia, New Delhi, notion, planning commission, praful patel, public sector, sector project, security clearances