Monsoon hits Kerala a week early, farmers rejoice (Lead)May 23rd, 2009 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 23 (IANS) The The eagerly awaited southwest monsoon hit Kerala Saturday, a week ahead of its normal date, bringing cheer to farmers in the state.
The onset of the monsoon was confirmed after widespread rainfall over south Kerala for the last four days, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The depression currently lying over east-central Bay of Bengal is likely to intensify into a cyclonic storm and move in a northerly direction towards West Bengal and adjoining Bangladesh coasts during the next 72 hours, the IMD said Saturday evening.
The monsoon is crucial for the kharif crop and Kerala’s farmers rejoiced over the early arrival of rains. The normal monsoon arrival date in Kerala is June 1.
Monsoon rains are key for cultivation of kharif crops which account for nearly 60 percent of India’s agricultural output.
Earlier this month, the IMD had predicted that the monsoon would hit Kerala May 26. Last year, the monsoon hit the state May 28.
From Kerala, the monsoon travels upwards to the central Indian plains and is expected to cover most of the country by June-end.
The weather office forecast that the southwest monsoon is likely to further advance over some more parts of central and north Bay of Bengal, northeastern states and Gangetic West Bengal by Monday evening.
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala three days before schedule (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala - May 29, 2011
- Parts of Maharashtra sizzle at 47 degrees - May 26, 2012
- Below normal monsoon likely this year (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Monsoon reaches Andaman Islands - May 17, 2010
- Monsoon hits Kerala Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala, south India gets rains (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Indian equities markets eyes monsoon season - May 15, 2011
- Monsoon likely to be below normal - Jun 21, 2011
- Bihar set for a normal monsoon - Jun 08, 2011
- Still 'chasing the monsoon' to lift India's fortune - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: agricultural output, arrival date, bay of bengal, cheer, coasts, cyclonic storm, early arrival, further advance, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kharif crop, kharif crops, monsoon rains, northeastern states, northerly direction, rainfall, saturday evening, southwest monsoon, weather office, west bengal