Models blow kisses, chat, munch confectionary on the rampSeptember 20th, 2008 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 20 (IANS) This certainly was a fashion show with a difference. Models walked through a stylized garden into which the ramp had been converted, munched on confectionary, chatted and blew kisses at the audience as they showcased designer Pallavi Jaikishan’s collection at the HDIL India Couture Week here.This was the first full-fledged couture show for the designer, who was showcasing her collection after some 10-12 years.
Her theme “La Vie Est Belle” or “Life is Beautiful” was about celebrating a journey that started in Europe and ended in Rajasthan.
“With my line, I am celebrating life, its beauty and the colours associated with it,” Jaikishan said after the show here late Friday. The designer is the widow of Jaikishan of the famed Hindi film music composer duo Shankar-Jaikishan.
“This collection depicts the fruitful, happy and joyous journey of a beautiful life,” she added.
The collection consisted of lehngas and saris in shades of silver, gold, pale pinks, blues, and soft greens. Fabrics like tulle, lame, satin and lace were used and French tape, crystals and embroider petit point flowers were used for the embroidery.
The collection also had Jaikishan’s trademark flowers dominating every outfit in different shapes, sizes and colours.
“I am known for my flowers. Even if I try to, I can’t run away from them. They have given me an identity,” Jaikishan explained.
The collection was divided into two segments: European and Indian.
In the former, the designer showcased lehngas along the lines of ball gowns. And, instead of dupattas, there were stoles of different sizes and shapes.
The Indian collection comprised kalidar lehengas with dupattas and blouses, and bandhani saris with shimmering gota blended with French roses.
Commenting on the collection, film director Karan Johar said: “It was beautiful and the way she conceptualized the ramp walk was commendable.
“That was the USP of the show. It was different and innovative. This is what experience is all about. It makes you better and different.”
- Couture week: Manav Gangwani to showcase A Timeless Affaire (With Image) - Jul 18, 2011
- A debut after 40 years and book in making, Pallavi Jaikishan on a roll - Jul 21, 2012
- A grandeur opening by Varun Bahl for DCW - Aug 09, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Amy dazzles as princess in Indian attire - Mar 03, 2012
- Drape that Kanjeevaram, Benarasi this Diwali - Oct 20, 2011
- Manish wowed with his collection, B-town loved it too (With Images) - Aug 12, 2012
- Madhuri Dixit turns 'devi' for Anju Modi - Aug 11, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (Lead with correction in second para) - Aug 10, 2012
- Fahad Hussayn steals show at Pakistan Bridal Week (With Images) - Dec 20, 2011
- Shabana NGO's women create Anita Dongre's LFW collection - Aug 18, 2011
- Indian weddings have become liberal: Shantanu and Nikhil - Aug 12, 2012
- Pallavi Jaikishan goes traditional at LFW - Aug 04, 2012
- I was skeptical about walking the ramp: Sharmila Tagore - Jul 25, 2011