Mobile web surfing on the riseJuly 11th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 11 (ANI): The number of people using their mobile phones to surf net has significant increased this year.
According to a report released recently, mobile web has reached a “critical mass” of users this year.
The US tops the list, with nearly 40 million American using their handset to browse Internet.
The UK and Italy occupy second and third spots, respectively, out of countries surveyed by the analyst firm Nielsen Mobile
Indonesia has the lowest take-up with just 1.1 per cent of mobile subscribers using their handsets for surfing the web.
“Mobile internet reached a critical mass this year, offering a large and diverse enough base of users to support large-scale mobile marketing efforts,” the BBC quoted the authors as writing.
The number of people using the mobile web has increased from 22.4 million in 2006 to more than 40 million today in America.
“The adoption and the experience are improving at an impressive rate,” Nic Covey, Nielsen Mobile’’s director of insights, said.
Yahoo and Google were the most popular sites to be browed on web.
The report also talks about differences between browsing habits in PC and the small screen.
“PC internet users visit more than 100 domains per month, on average. By contrast, the average mobile internet user in the US visited 6.4 individual websites per month,” the report said.
However, when it comes iPhone, the firm found that 82 per cent of the owners access the mobile Internet, “making them five times as likely to do so as the average mobile consumer”.
The authors said that growth like this means that the mobile web is now a viable option for big business. (ANI)
- Nokia to focus on sub-Rs.6,000 category - Oct 31, 2011
- 300 mn Chinese surf internet via mobile phones - Jun 13, 2011
- China's internet population is 485 million - Jul 19, 2011
- Mobile Internet usage growing in popularity - Nov 26, 2008
- Shanghai kids take to Internet aged 8, says survey - Jun 16, 2012
- Telecom companies revive value of the Indian paisa (Comment) - May 18, 2010
- Antenna Software plans expansion in India - Mar 10, 2011
- MVAS to create Rs.48,000 crore business opportunity by 2015 - Jul 06, 2012
- Mobile phones' sale in China grew by 57 percent in 2010 - Jan 23, 2011
- India now third biggest internet user - Dec 14, 2010
- Almost one-third of Aussies use their mobile phones on toilet - Oct 05, 2010
- Indian youngsters lag behind in mobile Internet use - Jan 13, 2011
- US surfers prefer online gaming and socializing to e-mail - Aug 03, 2010
- 141 mn people to use mobiles for payments: Gartner - Jul 21, 2011
- Samsung to launch cheaper smartphones for India - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: analyst firm, covey, critical mass, google, handset, handsets, impressive rate, internet user, internet users, iphone, marketing efforts, mobile consumer, mobile internet, mobile marketing, mobile subscribers, mobile web, nielsen, pc internet, viable option, web surfing