Mobile number portability likely by 2009April 11th, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) The telecom watchdog Friday asked the government to implement the mobile number portability (MNP) by June 2009 across the country by granting license for this to an operator through a competitive bidding process. “The Mobile Number Portability Clearing House Administrator (MCHA) should be licensed through a competitive bidding process,” the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said in a statement Friday.
It said MNP, which allows a user to shift operators without having to change the phone number, should be introduced in a phased manner.
TRAI has also recommended a ceiling of 10 percent on stake holding of telecom service providers in the proposed third party operator, which would act as MCHA.
Likewise, the operator should not be allowed to hold 10 percent or more stake in any of the telecom firms.
Implementation of MNP is expected to witness major shift of customers from one operator to another that would lead to better quality of service due to cutthroat competition.
Telecom operators had earlier opposed the move, saying the feature should be implemented for landlines as well.
- Less than 5 percent users to be affected: TRAI - Feb 02, 2012
- Telecom market dominated by older players, users wont get affected: TRAI - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- Etisalat advises subscribers to 'port out' - Mar 09, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 09, 2012
- 29.24 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 30, 2012
- Stick to porting rules, TRAI tells Vodafone - Nov 04, 2011
- Over 180.59 lakh opt for mobile number portability - Oct 20, 2011
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
- Regulator seeks telecom industry's views on number portability - Jul 22, 2009
- TRAI 2G pricing norms by October-end (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Over 38 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: clearing house, competitive bidding process, cutthroat competition, implementation, landlines, mcha, mnp, mobile number, New Delhi, phone number, quality of service, stake, telecom firms, telecom operators, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecom service providers, third party, trai, watchdog