MNS protests wrongful sacking of HSBC employeesMay 4th, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) Over 400 protestors Friday staged demonstrations in front of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Ltd (HSBC Bank) to protest the sacking of employees at one of its units.
Part of the Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS), the protestors were agitating against HSBC’s InvestDirect (India) Ltd that plans to eliminate 30,000 jobs globally.
MNS spokesperson Shirish Parkar, who led the agitation, said that around 300 employees of the bank were forcefully sacked and escorted out by security guards last month, without any compensation or prior notice.
“Last week, some employees approached us and sought help. We got in touch with the bank authorities and asked them to compensate employees on the basis of their remaining years of service,” Parkar told IANS.
“The bank, however, did not agree to the same and hence we threatened protest. Today (Friday), however, they had called for police protection to avoid the agitation, but we held our ground,” he added.
Parkar said the MNS will host a website where it will expose “the wrongful sacking” of the employees. “If corrective action is not taking by the bank, we will intensify our stir,” he said.
- Mumbai violence: Raj Thackeray demands Patil's resignation - Aug 17, 2012
- MNS opposes non-Marathi staff in Provident Fund office - May 10, 2010
- Defiant MNS asks Mumbai residents not to pay toll tax - Jul 29, 2012
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
- Elections will see communal parties losing relevance: Chavan - Feb 16, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Shiv Sena demands better price for sugarcane - Nov 08, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray had chest pain since four days - Jul 17, 2012
- Raj Thackeray attacks Maharashtra government on toll tax - Jun 12, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to leave hospital Monday - Jul 22, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- MNS wing threatens stir against multiplexes - Aug 13, 2012
- Nashik will have MNS mayor: Raj Thackeray - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: agitation, authorities, corp ltd, corrective action, demonstrations, hongkong, hsbc bank, india ltd, investdirect, jobs, mns, parkar, police protection, protestors, raj thackeray, security guards, sena, shanghai banking, spokesperson