MNS chief Raj Thackeray arrestedOctober 21st, 2008 - 10:02 am ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct 21 (ANI): Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray was arrested in Ratnagiri late on Monday night for brutal attack on North Indian rail exam candidates by MNS workers.
A case was registered against Raj Thackeray and his supporters after MNS activists attacked centres conducting railway recruitment examination in suburban Mumbai to protest against the “inadequate representation” to locals and chased away candidates from north India.
More than 30 MNS activists were arrested from Dombivali, Thane, Andheri and Nala Sopara for disrupting the exam, tearing test papers and pelting stones on candidates, police said.
Thackeray is likely to be produced in Bandra court here today.
Meanwhile, incidents of violence were reported across Mumbai allegedly by the MNS activists.
On Monday, a court in Jamshedpur forwarded a non-bailable warrant (NBW) against Raj Thackeray to Mumbai police.
The NBW has been issued against Thackeray for allegedly making derogatory remarks against Biharis. Mumbai Police said that the NBW would be executed this week.
The non-bailable warrant was issued by the court of first class judicial magistrate A K Tiwary on September 30 directing the MNS leader to be present before him on November 17.
The court directive came on a petition filed against Thackeray by Hammed Raza Khan, a lawyer, for allegedly hurting the religious sentiments of a section of society. (ANI)
- On Raj Thackerays arrest, Maharasthtra CM says nobody is above law - Oct 21, 2008
- Mumbai police issues gag order against Raj Thackeray - Oct 21, 2008
- Jamshedpur Court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Oct 20, 2008
- Raj Thackeray denied bail, sent to jail for two weeks - Oct 21, 2008
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Bihar court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Dec 03, 2009
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Raj Thackeray secures bail after arrest (Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- Raj Thackeray arrested after surrender in Mumbai court - Nov 15, 2008
- Bihar court issues warrant against Bal Thackeray - Sep 05, 2009
- Jamshedpur court sends warrant for Raj Thackeray - Oct 20, 2008
- Raj Thackeray arrested - Nov 15, 2008
- Don't harass politicians, Bengal officials told - Mar 24, 2011
- Jharkhand court issues notice on Raj Thackeray - Feb 18, 2009
Tags: activists, andheri, bailable, brutal attack, court directive, derogatory remarks, exam candidates, inadequate representation, indian rail, jamshedpur, judicial magistrate, mns, monday night, nbw, north india, raj thackeray, raza khan, religious sentiments, test papers, tiwary